Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips

Post subject: Question about birth and death certificates in LIC Newfoundl
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm 

Not sure how to order birth certs and death certs in your neck of the woods. With much help I have finally know my Hayward Snelgroves mother, Susanna Louis. His father was Jacob Snelgrove. I want to know when the LIC began issuing birth and death certs? Susanna, I believe died around 1871-72. And Jacob died in 1908. I'm pretty sure it would be church records to find Susanna's death record. But I was hoping to get a death cert on Jacob.

Post subject: Re: Question about birth and death certificates in LIC Newfo
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 pm 

Hello,
Here is the link to the 1908 provincial record of death for Jacob T. Snelgrove. He is at line #14.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :144853001

the following info from family search.org may be of help to you

"This collection contains records dating from 1840 to 1949.

These records include images of births, delayed registrations of births, marriages, and deaths.

Newfoundland, including the area of Labrador, became a province of Canada in 1949. Official registration of births, marriages, and deaths began in 1891. This collection also contains “Delayed Registration of Birth” certificates as well. Some of these can date back to 1840. A delayed birth certificate is considered to be a birth certificate not filed within one year of the date of birth. Delayed birth certificates are generally a separate type of document and can include more types of documents than just late filings.

Until 1948, most vital records were copies of church records. Clergy were required to register the baptisms, marriages, and burials they performed with the civil authorities. Also, as most of the records were handwritten and then copied from there may be transcription errors and mistakes in orthography of some individual’s names. It is important to check for alternate and similar spellings.

Official registration of Births, marriages, and deaths did occur in Newfoundland until 1891.

Civil registration started in Newfoundland in 1891-1892. In the 1930's and 1940's, the Newfoundland Department of Public Health and Welfare, requested that churches transcribe their pre-1891 baptisms and marriages. This collection contains the records of those churches which responded to the request. Beginning dates vary with each record and many dates are out of chronological order. "

L. Moss

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips