Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips

Post subject: Using Chebucto's Search function
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm 

It seems rather obvious but I can't always assume everyone has the same level of computer literacy, so I thought I would mention it.

At the bottom of the home screen (and every screen actually) there is a Search the entire site function. That means you can enter the name of your family member or place of birth or whatever and the results will be listed for you, instead of you having to dig through thousands of documents. Mind you, it will bring you every occurrence of that name, so some of the information will likely not be relevant, but it certainly saves time.

In addition, I use the "find" function in my web browser (I use FireFox) to search the document I open for occurrences of the name or names I'm looking for, that way I don't always have to read the entire document to find what I'm looking for - although sometimes reading it all is helpful in finding names I wouldn't have even though to look for.

Anyway...just thought I would post about that. I've tried other sites and have found chebucto to be the best one in terms of the amount of documents and information available. I have to remind myself to be patient, too, when I can't find information because perhaps it's just because it hasn't been transcribed yet.

Hope this helps!

Darlene

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips