Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips

Post subject: Ancestry DNA
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:47 pm 

Has anyone on here had their ancestry DNA analyzed? I have just recently ordered the collection kit for this purpose. There have been rumours as long as I can remember of Miq'mak blood on my Mom's side of my family. I think that would be cool. so I am going to find out if that's probable.

If you've had it done, what were your experiences?

Post subject: Re: Ancestry DNA
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 am 

I have read some posts, in the Bra'dor Indians website, that it looks like, to me anyway, that if you have the MtDNA testing done, and you match the markers, nothing further is needed.

Maybe I read their posts wrong, but, if that is the case, I would like to go that way as well. The amount of roadblocks I have with research is huge. Were did you order the kit from, if I may ask?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am 

Did you order the kit from Ancestry.com? I am interested too and noticed they have just come out with it.I wonder how long it will take with the results. For $130 I think its reasonable and after you get yours I'd love to know what you think of it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm 

I did the mtDNA kit from GeneBase.com. It was inconclusive as to native ancestry--possibly because I have just discovered that if there is native blood, it would be on my mom's dad's side of the family, not her mother's, and mtDNA testing just traces the maternal line. I didn't think the kit was worth the $$$ spent but that's probably because I didn't find out what I wanted. I did discover something interesting, though: that my mom's family had close ties to Brittany in France. Could that be why I feel so freaking at home in Paris? Ha ha.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:57 am 

Has anyone on here had their ancestry DNA analyzed? I have just recently ordered the collection kit for this purpose. There have been rumours as long as I can remember of Miq'mak blood on my Mom's side of my family. I think that would be cool. so I am going to find out if that's probable. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:58 am 

I did the mtDNA kit from GeneBase.com. It was inconclusive as to native ancestry--possibly because I have just discovered that if there is native blood, it would be on my mom's dad's side of the family, not her mother's, and mtDNA testing just traces the maternal line. I didn't think the kit was worth the $$$ spent but that's probably because I didn't find out what I wanted. I did discover something interesting, though: that my mom's family had close ties to Brittany in France. Could that be why I feel so freaking at home in Paris? Ha ha. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: ;)

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:23 pm 

I did it! Expecting mikmaq to come back because of my families dark skin, hair and my grandmother being told her whole life that she was part native. Came back as mostly European but some Asian, which is similar to Native DNa. I also read that ancestry DNa isn't the most reliable out there. I'd try 23 and me. It may just be that they have no mikmaq dna samples to base the dna on.

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips