Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Family Tree Maker My Heritage - what I learned as a new user
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 pm 

Hello all :) , Not that long ago I started building my family tree on a My Heritage family tree maker online site. I just thought I would share a couple of things I found out that were really helpful for me and might be for any new users of that product. My number one MUST DO is use the 'Consistency Checker' every time I make changes. It will catch a lot of errors! As I am doing my research and looking at "smart matches" I am seeing lots of sites that clearing need to run the consistency checker. The other good tip I figured out is, if you don't know a birth date for someone but you can make an educated guess (for example assume a parent is born 25-30 yrs before their child and vice versa) putting in at least a good guess can often lead to record matches. Also don't forget to mark people deceased even if you don't know the death date. And use 'Circa' and 'Unsure' for for the date descriptors to get better matches. And important, don't assume other trees are accurate, trust the record matches more than the smart matches. Just thought I would put that out there to help others like me. I don't have experience with other products but this is what works for me with. Hope this helps newbies like me. :)

My ancestors are Healy from Blackhead mostly and anyone they married.

Board index » General » General Discussion