Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: 1940s Parish Transcription Caution
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm 

The following is the entry of my 3x great-grandparents' marriage in the Carbonear UC parish records (1816):

"Sammuel Baker of the Parish of Warem Dorset and Jane Pelley of Carbonear were married in this place by consent of Parents and Friends this Twenty Six Day of Dec'er in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifteen by me, Sampson Busby W. My.
This Marriage was Solemnized between us: Sammuell Baker (x mark), Jane Pelley (x mark).
In the Presence of: William Penney, Charles R......."

When transcribed during the 1940s, the form that was used for marriages had a column with the heading, "Residence of Each at Time of Marriage." In this case, Samuel's "residence" is given as "Warem (sic), Dorset." It occurs to me that this can be very misleading, as it suggests he was still a resident of Wareham when he married. The word, "of" in the original entry could simply mean he was born there, or grew up there.

I have for a long time been under the impression that Job Baker, Sam's grandson, lived in Carbonear at the time of his marriage, which took place in Black Island, NDB (1959). Carbonear was entered as his "Residence at the Time of Marriage. I am starting to think that the original could have said, "from Carbonear". This would make sense, in this case, as the Bakers resettled in Black Island and surrounding areas. So I am planning on ordering the original and see what it says!

Just something that might help.

Board index » General » General Discussion