Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Cast Iron, Zinc, and Other Metal Headstones
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

I am doing some research on metal headstones in the province and because the material is not often listed, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack! I have found two cast iron headstones (Molloy in Carbonear, Tuff in Lumsden), a sheet iron (with no identification in Carbonear) and three zinc stones (Parsons, Cook, and Toussaint in St. John's). The zinc, often called White Bronze, are a blue-gray in colour and are hollow. There are also some tin headstones in Bonavista Bay.

Have you noticed any in your travels? Do any of your relatives have a metal headstone? Did your family make metal headstones?

Thanks for any information,

Kelly

Post subject: Re: Cast Iron, Zinc, and Other Metal Headstones
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 am 

Hi there:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but; have you seen the headstone in Belvedere in St. John's that has a metal top. It is a combination of stone and metal throughout and is quite large.

This headstone is in the area of my grandparents grave which we just had "refreshed" and there is this one headstone in the area, which is quite impressive-- more like a monument.

It looks like the name is Duggan, but I can not find any matching reference on the Cemetery transcriptions on this NLGB site for that name. I think it should be listed in section 5 of Belvedere, according the cemetery diagram.

I checked progress on my grandparents grave this AM and took a few pictures of this headstone If you list your e mail here I could send them to you; as I am not sure how to attach pictures here.

Or you could send me an email: pangel99@icloud.com

Rgeards
Pat

Board index » General » General Discussion