Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Re: DNA Tribes atDNA Testing
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 pm 

Thanks Pikeman,
I am just entering into an exploration of my possible Amerindian ancestry. I have raw data from ancestrydna I've uploaded to gedmatch. No native American on ancestry results, but gedmatch shows 0.52% Arctic Amerind in MDLP World-22. Eurogenes gave me 0.39% Amerindian. My great-grandmother (father's grandmother) was rumored to have native blood. She was from Port Blandford/Keels area.
My aunt (father's sister) is showing almost double my results in same gedmatch calculators. Do you know of any reference populations from Bonavista?
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge even though a lot of it goes over my head!

Stephen Baker

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 pm 

Thanks Pikeman,
That is certainly something to look forward to! Just curious, do you know if Saulteauw and Ojibway are known to share sequences with NA found in Newfoundland? I am seriously considering submitting to DNA Tribes. Do you know if one can upload more than one person's raw data? I'd like to submit both mine and my aunt's for analysis.
Thanks again!
Steve

add: Were the 19 Beothuk and Maritime Archaic Indian genome sequences extracted from skeletal remains?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 pm 

Pikeman wrote:
-the Beothuk were a distinct peripheral NA group that seems to have been isolated genetically and geographically for quite some time.

Very interesting. I would assume, in terms of genetic markers, isolated gene pools would be desirable in that containment within that specific gene pool would show up more prominently. Targeting sequences would therefore be very specific to that population. I am subscribing to DNA Tribes. Thanks for the wealth of info. I'll be in touch!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 pm 

Do you know if it is compatible with that new v5 chip from 23andme? We did 23andme first, we just sent off our Ancestry.com dna tests since that one seems to the universally accepted dna that we can upload just about anywhere.

My husband show 10-15% in the Native American/Northern American Indian composition in 23andme as well as when we uploaded it to the Gedcom Genesis database.

My husband's mother was adopted, so we know nothing of her background, however, he's gotten matches to family members in 23andme that lead me to believe it will lead back to Canada.

There are stories in my family of Algonquin bloodlines, but I have yet to establish them through exhaustive research. What I have found is ancestors in the first founders of Quebec, Massachusetts, as well as ancestors in Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

My 23andme shows 0.2% Native American and East Asian, Gedcom Genesis showed slightly more depending on which of the reports I looked at.

Board index » General » General Discussion