Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: RFI: Burial of drowned sailors in Newfoundland, specifically
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm 

Hello all,

Let me begin by saying that I am unsure if this is the proper forum for my query and so the moderators may of course remove this if it is unsuitable.

My name is John and I am from Sweden. I have recently begun a family history project. In the course of this project, I have discovered that my maternal grandmother's father, Emil Pettersen of Stavanger, Norway, was shipwrecked outside Saint Shotts (near Eastern Head) on February 9th, 1942. There were 8 casualties and my great-grandfather was among them. According to the ship journal, his body was recovered from the sea and he was buried in or near Saint Shotts, on February 20th, 1942. It says no more in the ship journal than that.

My maternal grandmother is still alive, at the age of 82. She was six years old when her father drowned and retains only hazy memories of him, as he was at sea for much of her childhood. She has never been able to visit a grave or a churchyard. The full details of his death have never been made exactly clear to her until now.

For my grandmother's sake, I want to find out if there is indeed still a grave where her father rests (and possibly obtain a photograph of it).
I am, however, unable to find the name of Emil Pettersen in the cemetery transcriptions available on this site. The church in Saint Shotts is named Our Lady of Fatima, but I can't seem to find their cemetery here.

Is there anybody on this site who can clue me in on what the procedure was for the burial of foreign sailors - if they were indeed interred in the local graveyard - or if anybody happens to have a contact for the community of Saint Shotts, so I could possibly get further help from a local there - I would be incredibly grateful.

Short version: My Norwegian great-grandfather drowned outside Newfoundland and was buried in St Shotts on February 20th, 1942. I want to find his grave, for my grandmother's sake.

Thank you for reading.

Post subject: Re: RFI: Burial of drowned sailors in Newfoundland, specific
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 pm 

There is a Saint Shotts Facebook page that may be able to assist you in talking to someone local who may be able to help.

Alternatively, Our Lady of Fatima can be reached at [709] 438 2674
Their website is;
https://rcsj.org/stores/holy-redeemer-parish

Good luck!

Board index » General » General Discussion