Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: How do I get info on the English relations?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:11 pm 

I think I've managed to go back as far as I can on NL soil- my suspicion is that we had one founding male here, likely came over as a young man between 1800-1821, the first reference is 1821 when he married. From the records here and what I have found online, there are zero references to any Gullifords prior. There are no other Gulliford's wed or born on NL soil that I can find prior to his children. He married Elizabeth Short of Hants Harbour, their first born son in 1822. I have found references to the Short's prior to 1821, but no Gullifords. It seems he may be the senior family founder. Later references have his kids listed sporadically with marriages, births and deaths, but nothing earlier.

How would I figure out where he came from and trace the family back into England, or leaving England to fish in NL? Any good UK sites that I should try first? I know they were Methodists (United Church). It's been suggested he may have hailed from Bath. Gulliford seemed a popular English surname around that time, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start!

Post subject: Re: How do I get info on the English relations?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The problem with the English records is that you need to know the exact date of birth, the town or village the person came from and the church they went to, wrong church, no records.

Post subject: Re: How do I get info on the English relations?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm 

Yes, I did notice that! I have found some records through the Dorset Online Parish records, and it seems promising, if somewhat overwhelming in numbers. I am compling the info, will have to take a good look to find any connections though.

I found a British forum, and a member mentioned a fantastic book called Planters, Paupers & Pioneers and it's all about how Atlantic Canada was settled. I found a reference to a William Gulliford coming to work here in 1811-1812 and I believe it must be him, which is incredibly exciting! While I don't know his his exact birth date, I can guess pretty accurately (within a few years) and am hoping some of the Parish records will assist in confirming a family line in England. Suspect he came from Devon or Somerset as Trinity at the time was fed mostly by the Poole Bros, and from those areas.

Post subject: William Gulliford - Bath, England to Hant's Harbour
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 pm 

I have also read that William Gulliford came from Bath, England.

His wife, Elizabeth Cashman Short Gulliford (they married on Sep 21, 1821) was my 3x great grandmother. I do not know the name of her Short husband (wish I did!) but her son, John, (my 2x gt. grandfather) was born in May 1816 (he died at the age of 90 years & 8 months on Jan 6, 1907 in Hant's Harbour). He was just five when his mother remarried, and was known for the remainder of his life as John Gulliford Short.

Like you, I would love to be able to trace back to England - with my Short line. Good Luck.

Board index » General » General Discussion