Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Name Changes
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm 

I recently began looking for more information on my great aunt's family, they lived in St. John's and I found them listed in the St. John's census of 1945. I'm just wondering if anyone would know where the area known as Freshwater Valley was located at that time? I'm not familiar with the name. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Name Changes
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:19 am 

Hi, there. Freshwater Valley was once on the outskirts of St.John's and consisted of farmland. It is in the Oxen Pond Road area.

I found this reference to the area on http://www.historicplaces.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
"Freshwater Valley was once a rural community of farmers on the outskirts of St. John’s. Above the bustle of the growing city, farmhouses, outbuildings, gardens, fields and livestock peppered the landscape. Creating fertile fields from wooded wilderness, farmers in this area supplied city dwellers with fresh produce, providing the colony a degree of self sufficiency. By 1840, more than four hundred such farms were located within the boundaries of what is now St. John’s. Today only a handful remain."

Take a look at the following link there to see Thimble Cottage, an early 1850's farmhouse owned by the last surviving member (now deceased) of the O'Brien farm. It is on Oxen Pond Road in Freshwater Valley. There are plans in the works to restore it as a project by the O'Brien Farm Foundation. http://www.historicplaces.ca/fr/rep-reg ... px?id=2625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post subject: Re: Name Changes
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:33 pm 

Thanks so much!

Board index » General » General Discussion