Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: JOSHUA BUTTON PARENTS CONFIRMED
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:00 pm 

Due to water damage to some of the Methodist Church birth records...

I was able to confirm the parents of Joshua Button to be Henry Button 1806-1883 and Elizabeth Woodland 1809-1875. I used a news article from 1909 on the death of Joshua's son Willis to find the name of a first cousin of Willis (Joseph Squires). Joseph Squires was the son of Ann Maria Button and James Squires. Ann Maria Button was the Daughter of Henry Button and Elizabeth Woodland which would make her a Sister of Joshua Button B1836. AMEN!!

I have a photo of Joshua Button and Eliza Button headstone. Also, one of their son Willis. If anyone wants a copy send me an email to beaudoinfh@msn.com

Now I am stuck on Henry Button B1806. Do you have his parents listed?

Listed below is the news article that I am refering to. Willis Button was my wife's Great Great Grandfather.

A TERRIBLE DEATH (The Evening Telegram OCT 25, 1909)
Willis Button, or Old Perlican, Has His Life Crushed Out Between Vessel And Wharf
While securing the schooner Minnie J., at the wharf, in the storm, about 0230 this morning Willis Button, one of the crew, was crushed to death between the wharf and the schooner Stanley G. Barbour.He was down on the rails of the wharf making fast a line when the Stanley G. Barbour came in on the swell and crushed the unfortunate man to death between ner side and the wharf. On the reflux of theswell the schooner dropped away and the unfortunate man was seen to fall in the water by men there who were also looking after their schooners. He was eventually fished out of the water and his rescuers then saw that his skull had been crushed and life was extinct. Mr. Coady, the watchman on the premises ran to the police station, and informed Sergt. Mackay, the guard. The officer first calledup Dr. Macpherson and Dr. Cowperthwaite on the phone and then went to the scene of the accident. The unfortunate man was taken to the office on the wharf, and the doctors arriving saw at a glance that there was no hope as the skull had been crushed and death was instantaneous. The body was conveyed to the morgue by order of the Sergeant. It will be coffined and sent to Old Perlican tomorrow.Deceased who was second hand on the schooner Minnie J., was 40 years old and leaves a widow and five children. The Crew of the Minnie J. are heart-broken over the affair. Capt. Barbour in a letter we publish in this issue declares that the accident was not due to improper mooring. Button, when it was seen what he had intended doing was warned by some of the crew not to attempt to get down on the cross pieces on the shores, but did not heed the friendly advice, and before a hand could be lifted to aid him, the life had been crushed out of him between the vessel and pier. In an interview today with Joseph Squires, a first cousin of the dead man, he laid all the blame to the schooner Gurnet which he said had no anchor out and which drifted down on the Minnie J. and smashed up her head gear. To better secure the Minnie J., Button got down on the cross pieces intending to take the turn of a rope around them and thus secure their schooner more firmly. Just as the man got down and withhis back turned to her the Barbour swinging quickly, crushed him and his body dropped into the water when she again swung off. His Brother Noah was near him, saw the accident and yelled to the othersthat Willis was killed. When the body fell it shot out under the stern of the Barbour and remained a considerable time floating on the water until Joseph Squires at great risk to himself from the swinging craft was lowered over the side of the pier and after great exertion got hold of the body which was taken onboard a boat which some men pulled into the dock. Afterwards it was taken upon the pier and then it was seen that the head was crushed to a pulp and blood streamed from the ears, eyes and mouth. Besides a wife and five children the man’s father and mother are both living, the former who has been blind the past 25 years, being on board the craft with his son George who is the skipper. The vessel fished from this port the past summer. This forenoon the Rev. J. K. Curtis visited the vessel and consoled the grief-stricken old man and his brother and cousins. The body was taken by undertaker Martin to his mortuary rooms today to be put aboard the Louise at 6 p.m. by order ofMessrs. Crosbie & Whiteway, for shipment to his native place. His wife and family were apprised by telegraph today of the sad event; the Methodist clergyman of Old Perlican breaking the news to them.

Board index » General » General Discussion