Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Belvedere Cemetery -- Misc Section
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:06 am 

The listing on N.L.G.B. for Belvedere Cemetery in St. John's lists gravesites for the MISC section of the Cemetery. However, the map for the cemetery does not identify any such section.
Perhaps the graves listed in this MISC area are not easily identified in any of the other areas?
I believe my great grandparents Patrick Flynn (died May 07,1908) and Ellen Flynn are listed as being buried in the MISC section and would like to find their plot.
Any thoughts ?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Belvedere Cemetery -- Misc Section
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:55 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Belvedere Cemetery.

Opened about 1810, it is located on Bonaventure Ave, Empire Ave and Major Avenue. This cemetery is not in current use except for current plot holders. Many of the Burial Records are lost but there are a few available - 1880-1885 and 1907-1943. There is also a plot record available at the Basilica Office (Basilica of St. John the Baptist on Military Road near Harvey Road and Bonaventure Ave). Burial Records - at the Basilica Office and at the Genealogical Office Headstone Records - Genealogical Office

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 pm 

Thanks Millt, for the quick reply. I appreciate this.

I have been to the Basilica Office looking for baptism and marriage records but did not know about the Cemetery Plot records. I will check that out the next time I am there. But that will not be until later this year.

Meanwhile I have used the N.L.G.B. section "Cemetery Transcriptions for Newfoundland and Labrador Listed by District " to find various family plots at Belvedere, where several of my ancestors are buried. I knew where some of our family burial plots were and the N.L.G.B. Cemetery section has been helpful to find others. The issue I have is that some of my relatives are listed on the N.L.G.B. site as buried in the MISC section of Belvedere, but the MISC section is not identified on the map for Belvedere Cemetery on the N.L.G.B. site. The listing of my great grandparents grave site in the MISC section, lets me know that their grave sites are there to be found, but I could use a map, rather than walk through the entire cemetery! Or I could wait until my next trip to the Basilica.

I was looking for any clues about how to find those graves that are listed in the MISC section. The N.L.G.B. site does have some pictures of other gravesites in the MISC section, but these pictures seem to be from various parts of Belvedere, rather than one particular area.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Also, these record-keepers may be able to assist you.....

The Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese in the 1980’s reconstructed lost registers that recorded plot interment locations by doing an inventory of the Belvedere Cemetery based on information recorded on headstones. Many headstones since the 1980’s have been destroyed because of vandalism or age. This inventory is the best to consult if you think one of your ancestors was buried in Belvedere Cemetery.

Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese
49 Bonaventure Avenue
PO Box 1363
St. John's, NL
Canada A1C 5M3
709-726-3660

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 am 

Thanks again for this info. I will contact them
Much appreciated.

Board index » General » General Discussion