Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: stonepics database
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:39 pm 

i think that it would be a great investment to add the stonepics database on here so that people can view headstones of their ancestors resting place. i know that the cd's are available for sale but it's costly when you have relatives spread over much of the province. anyone else share my view???

Post subject: Re: stonepics database
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need to be very careful what you are suggesting here. The Stonepics headstone photos are fully copyrighted, and can't be reproduced on any other website, without express permission from Stonepics. Doing so would be copyright infringement. And yes the full set is expensisve.... somewhere in the vacinity of $8,000 I believe.

Also, when you say "here", I assume that you mean the Cemeteries section of the "Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogy Site", because it's not possible to do so on the Message Board. I agree it would be nice to view these photos online for free. However, for the reason stated above, we can not post these photos on our Site. And even if we had permission, the amount of space on our Webserver would be enormous.... hundreds of times the size of our entire current Website.

But, we do have the complete text version of the Stonespics Database on the Site. And, additionally, we have about 12,000 of our own (and contributors') headstone photos available on the Site. Also, if you live or are visiting St. John's, the Newfoundland Provinicial Archives (at The Rooms) currently has all these photos available for viewing (with Stonepics permssion) in their Research Room.

Nice idea, but we have to respect Copyright Laws.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 am 

Long after this discussion, but still ...

I didn't know the text version was available at this web site; that's wonderful. And thank you very much!

Clearly I need to spend more time touring through all of the drop down menu options under the top menu classifications!

Cheers
J

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 pm 

Actually, I have used them, LOL (without success, unfortunately) ... just didn't know or overlooked a reference to the data being Stonepics.

J

Board index » General » General Discussion