Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: In memory of Richard Clark
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:35 am 

Here is a Plaque down by the Harbour where I now live in Weymouth.

http://www.weymouth-dorset.co.uk/abigail.html

Post subject: Re: In memory of Richard Clark
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:29 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Interesting, ksansom !

Weymouth being relatively close to Poole, Dorset....I will pose a scenario to you in the event you may have some knowledge of the topic.

John Slade, born in 1718, was a merchant who operated out of Poole, Dorset during the mid to late 1700s. He had mercantile establishments at Twillingate and other places in Newfoundland and Labrador during this period. He made a fortune, retired to Poole, and died and was buried at St. James, Poole, in February 1792.

I have been trying to determine the exact location of the St. James, Poole burials during this 1792 period. Where exactly was John Slade buried? And is there a memorial erected at his gravesite....considering his accumulated wealth at the time of his death?

Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect you to expend much time and energy on this subject.

Here is one piece of information I extracted mentioning John Slade and Weymouth.....

"Court Records of Poole, Dorset, of January 19, 1771: "John Slade of Poole, merchant, vs. Jonathan Johns of Weymouth, mariner, £2.0.0 for money lent"."

Board index » General » General Discussion