Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Spaniard's Bay/geographical help
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:25 am 

Hey all,

I need some geographical assistance. My great grandfather was born in Spaniard's Bay. Seems that when I go to look up that area, for instance in a travel book of the area, it is not listed.
Even when I am searching records on this site, I cannot seem to find specifically Spaniard's Bay. Is it part of a bigger area that I should be looking for?
I am geographically challenged to begin with, nevermind in a new area!

Thanks for any help you can provide

Tracy

Post subject: Re: Spaniard's Bay/geographical help
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am 
Hi Tracy,

You might want to take a look at these:

Spaniard's Bay, NF - Google Maps

Town of Spaniard's Bay

Also, Wikipedia has the following information about Spaniard's Bay:

Spaniard's Bay is a town in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Spaniard’s Bay is located on the northwest side of Conception Bay and consists of Vokey’s Shore, Northern Cove, Mint Cove, Green Head, and Goddenville. The names of towns and places in Newfoundland are perhaps the most unusual collection in the world and the origins of these names are a fascinating study by itself. Places such as “Come by Chance” or “Right in the Run Island” displays the Newfoundlanders’ humor. Other places describe the rugged and harsh coastline, like “Bad Bay”, “Misery Point”, or “Bleak Island”. Some places reflect the varied origin of the area, such as “Frenchman’s Cove”, “English Harbour”, and of course “Spaniard’s Bay”. The name Spaniard’s Bay came from the Basque and Portuguese fishermen who frequented the port in the 1500s and 1600s, and were referred to by the English as ‘Spaniards’.

Occupation of the area was seasonal at first, as with most of Newfoundland, but gradually English fishermen began to make permanent homes in Spaniard’s Bay around 1776. American Traders were visiting Spaniard’s Bay before 1776 and they exchanged salt, rum, and tobacco for fish. By 1805, there were 400 people living in the area and according to the 1871 Lovell’s Directory, the population would rise to 1,182 in less than seventy years. The majority of the settlers were English and had Dorset origin, but there was a strong Irish population. By the end of 1991, the population would be close to 2,200.

The initial settlement at Spaniard’s Bay centered around Mint Cove and Northern Cove. Some of the people living in Mint Cove before 1800 were Jonathan Sheppard, John Warford, Timothy Collins, and William Chipman. William Gosse and Robert Gosse, Jr. had a dockyard in Northern Cove in 1790, while Thomas Noseworthy and William Porter were living at Green Head in 1796. The Smith and Barrett families occupied Bread and Cheese (Bishop’s) Cove, with the Smiths claiming to have been in possession of the land since 1625. There were 400 people in 38 families occupying 36 registered properties in Spaniard’s Bay. Some of the family names included Peddle, Kelly, Neil, Besom, Brown, Forter, Phelan, Seymour, Vokey, Butt, Baggs, Baker, and Menchion.

Hope this was of some help.

Sherwin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:17 am 

Thanks Sherwin,

That info was very helpful. It really helped to put it in perspective for me. This site has been SOOO helpful. I have received some great advice.

Thanks to all of you..Cannot wait to visit this beautiful land

Tracy :D

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:13 pm 
Tracy,

You're more than welcome. Geography & searching the internet are two things I'm pretty good at, so I don't mind helping with these types of questions. Unfortunately I don't know much about Newfoundland history or family ancestry so I can't be of much help in that area.

I'm glad that you find the NGB website helpful, if there is anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to contact us. You can contact me through the message board, or contact one of the site administrators using the "Contacts" menu above.

Regards,
Sherwin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 am 

Thanks Sherwin,

It surely does help! 8-)

Board index » General » General Discussion