Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Meaning of terms
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm 

Hi;
Excuse my ignorance but would somebody please elaborate on the term ("pub" "publy" "publicly") and ("priv" "privly") in reference to the child sometimes found in Baptism records.
John

Post subject: Re: Meaning of terms
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

To me pub/publy/publicly would indicate a baptizm as part of a church service "a public baptizm in front of the congregation" priv/privly would be a private "Family only" event.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:52 am 

Hi;
Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you are correct! That was my first thought as well but having one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" type of brain I convinced myself there was more to it. I did look up the "Day of Week" for some of the dates and they were all over the map. Again I'm sure you are correct and I'm just over complicating things.
Regards
John

Post subject: Re: Meaning of terms (Update)
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm 

Now I'm really confused. I have found numerous occurrences of the terms "priv" and "pub" in the same record. The term "priv" preceeds the child's name and the term "pub" preceeds a date.
e.g. June 14th – A Son to JOHN & MARY KING of Bonaventr. Priv’y named JAMES, born 19th March 1814. Pub’y 10th June 1815.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have relatives that were baptized twice, once in a public ceremony and once privately, I can give you a possible scenario; wasn't expected to live so had a private baptism, recovered and had a public baptism, or reversed as in my family had a public baptism and she got very ill and had a private baptism as a "last resort".

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:01 pm 

Very often, especially if the labour was difficult, the newborn would be baptized immediately, often by the schoolmaster or midwife if the minister was not resident in the community (in such a case, any person can administer baptism). If the child survived, he would be publicly received into the church at a later date, usually the minister's next visit to the community.

In the 19th and early 20th centuries, with high rates of infant mortality, it was a very common practice. It still takes place in the Anglican Church today, though infrequently (maybe one out of 100 baptisms).

Board index » General » General Discussion