Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Ideas For New Features
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:39 am 
I would like to know of any site features that you believe would be useful for the users of the NGB website. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Please be advised that not all ideas can be incorporated into the site. I just want to see what the most popular requests are so that I can look into them a little more, at which point a decision will be made on whether or not the item will be included on the site.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Post subject: Re: Ideas For New Features
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 pm 

I am sure there are a host of features, but two off the top of my head are these:

1. I would like to see members update their Family Surname, Place information, and email addresses more regularly or completely (and/or have this information in an easily searchable system). Sometimes I feel that I am reinventing the wheel as I do family research as you are not aware of what families other researchers are interested in, what other researchers have already researched (and sometimes transcribed) and what other researchers may to able to help with.

2. I would like to see a summary of the various items that are transcribed be discussed in detail to give researchers a better idea of what is available that is not on-line. By way of example, a discussion of the various voters/electors lists that are available for Newfoundland - by year and area. Then if any researchers have copied or transcribed these lists for various areas they could note that in the summary section and individual researchers could get in touch or they could add transcriptions to the site. I think that sometimes we think if it is not on-line it is not available and this is clearly not the case (perhaps this is an issue with newer researchers as we incorrectly think everything is on-line). Also I may not want to transcribe something I took photographs of but I would be happy to forward it (and/or search it) to/for others. By way of example, I know that the 1928 Voters' List is online here (and I thought it might be the only one) but when I went to NL I found voters/electors lists for 1890 through 1988 in books that we were allowed to photograph.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the note with your suggestions.
Item 1.
This information is already showing up on the message board as different people add their family information and requests. Also, there is currently an “Information Forum” found on the main site where many people have added their family interests and questions about desired additional information. The currently posted Surname Information is listed alphabetically by Surname.
Item 2.
The information found on the site is only that which has been transcribed and sent to us for posting by hundreds of different volunteers. I am not sure that we would ever have the ability or the time to write summaries of background information relating to material presently posted on the site as there are currently over 50,000 pages of information posted on the site today. If there is anyone out there who might be willing to write summaries, such as what was suggested, we would gladly try to post them on the site as space permitted. We have concentrated on using our allotted disk space for additional material.
As to what information is available, that is not currently on the site, I really do not know any way to compile such a listing. I imagine that someone would need to sit down at the Newfoundland Archives (The Rooms) and go through their entire collection of material and make a detailed listing of it. Additionally, a listing of everything that the LDS (Mormon Church) has put on MicroFilm reels would need to be added and then whatever else the National Archives of Canada has microfilmed. Basically, I don’t believe there is any one source that would provide such a listing of the total material relating to Newfoundland that exists. As volunteers, trying to add as much original source material as possible, we just would not have the time to try to do anything like this. If anyone does have or has seen such a listing, please feel free to let us know and we will see if we can’t obtain it for the site. A listing such as this would be helpful, if there was an easy way of putting it together.
We are always looking for additional information which does not appear on the site. If anyone has information or original copies of original documents, not already posted on the site, please get in touch with us so we can get together and see if it can’t be added to the site. We have had to limit our posted material to original source (Transcribed from the original document) as much as possible. This does not allow us room on the site to be able to post family trees and other family specific information.
One last item and that is this, we are only a small group of about 5 people who volunteer our time to try to provide as much information as we can for others to be able to use in their effort to find family information about relatives who are associated with Newfoundland. We have no paid staff or any income to use in building the site for all of you out there. We enjoy doing this and hope that it is beneficial for all of you in your search for information.

Thanks
Don and the Chebucto Group of Volunteers

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 pm 

Census - The transcribed info is great, but is there any way to incorporate a digital copy of the original page. This is done in the Canadian 1901, 1911 Census and much more info is available. Also, sometimes when people are transcribing, misinterpretations can occur with writing styles and incorrect information may be posted. I like to have a hard copy of info that I find on my family, rather than rely completely on transcribed info.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am 

My suggestion is not for a new feature, but for the updating of a current one.

At the moment when you search a term, a list is presented to you. This list can contain several pages. If you "hit" on an item in the list, the search engine takes you to the data. Then when you attempt to return to the original list, you are always taken back to the first page, not to the last page you were on. This is a bit frustrating, especially when you have say 50 or more "hits" as you constantly have to renegociate where you left off in looking at the data. I hate to complain because I really rate this site, I use it frequently and I recommend it to many people, as it is a wonderful and valuable resource. But I just wondered if anything could be done about it?

Sharon Lewison

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:51 pm 

My suggestion is to update the database system that is applied to the 1921 Census, to the 1935 and 1945 Census' so that they can be easily searched through by First Names and Surname. -devongriffin1

Board index » General » General Discussion