Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Do you use any Genealogy software?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:28 am 
I was just curious about any Genealogy software that people use to keep track of their family information. Please let me know what software you use.

This information could potentially be used to evaluate and implement new site features in the future.

Post subject: Re: Do you use any Genealogy software?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm 

I use Family Tree Maker

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 pm 

i use "family tree maker" as well.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm 

I use Legacy Version 7 and I also have Roots Magic 4 on my computer. I started out with FTM because a relative I was working with on this "family history search" used it but found that it constantly was being updated (at additional cost) and they were trying to tie everything into ancestry.com which made me a bit uncomfortable (much of the tree information on ancestry is, in my opinion, garbage - sloppy, unsourced, mis-sourced, etc.) It seems like they almost encourage that with their recent ad campaign - find your ancestors in minutes! I also did not find FTM as customizable as Legacy (which I really like). Legacy has great charting capabilities and great search capabilities and I find it very user friendly and intuitive.

Now that I am acquiring a great deal of library and archive information (voters/electors list, directories, church records, vital statistics for birth, marriage and deaths, tombstone photos, etc.) I find that I need to combine a database program with a genealogy program. I am playing around with Word tables and Excel workbooks because I will need to take advantage of "find" on the various documents, but I am at the beginning stages of working with that.

I would love to know what others are using (for both genealogy programs and database programs) and how they combine the raw data collection (data mining) of Archive and Library records with their genealogy programs.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:48 pm 

I use Family Ties Deluxe Edition Version 5 from Individual Software, Inc. I have had it for years and find it good. It didn't cost me much at the time. I haven't done a lot with it lately but still I find it good. I checked the internet just then to see if any upgrades. Individual Software has a Family tree Heritage Volume 7. Not sure if that is a new program or just a new name for an updated version of mine. The pages shown are similar.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:23 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi:

I have Family Tree Maker 2009 installed but only use it to read files that others send me or to create files for others that use that program.

My main genealogy software is the ever-popular Personal Ancestral File (PAF) from the Mormans. It is free, easy to use, and its gedcoms are a prefect fit for most other software programs.

The only drawback with it is there is no place for photographs or records in .jpeg format. Right now, I keep those in family folders but I can see I may have to create a copy of my tree in FTM so I can store the photos and records with each individual. But I'm in no rush to do so as right now I can access any records & photos very quickly.

FTM is very pricey and not as simple to use!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:31 pm 

I also use Legacy 7 for all the same reasons as Tessa in an earlier reply.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 pm 

I use Family Historian (now v.4) by Calico Pie

A very straightforward programme, written by a UK author and has a very good user site to which the author, Simon Orde of Calico Pie, contributes. The programme Produces trees, CD web-style records or web-site for uploading etc, etc. I only really use it for record keeping but have found it excellent. You can, I believe, get a trial version download. The user site is http://www.fhug.org.uk

I suspect it may not be well known over your side of the pond but over here in the UK it is well respected.

roy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 pm 

Hi All,

We use FTM version 2005 - that's the current version since I don't know what runs with Vista.

It has been ok so far. I'm just starting out by adding in paper copies of trees from different sides of the familiy, while it has served Vicki well with over 5900 names on her tree (she's been busy since I gave here FTM years ago for her birthday)

Looks like I have many more names to catch up.

Brett

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 am 

I have just upgraded to Family Tree Maker 2010 from FTM 16. It is much different from the earlier versions but has some really interesting features that i am finding quite helpful. It is really nice to be able to do searches based on location and it seems to have some very nice reports. It is still going to take some time to get used to the difference in view and in adding information, but I am sure that i will eventually get the hang of it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:53 am 

I use Family Tree Maker 2008 after buying it for my Dad in the same year. We've found it to be invaluable, and while it does tie you to Ancestry.com that can be useful to help you discover other sources of information and connect with others researching the same family lines. The program was a particularly good introduction for my Dad because initially he wasn't very experienced with modern computers. He's now somewhat of an expert, so I'd recommend FTM as a good program to start with, provided you're happy with the cost.

I would agree with a few comments here that a lot of the family trees unloaded onto Ancestry.com seem to be very poorly researched and executed. In some cases you can clearly see where one person has uploaded a tree which is just plain wrong (people living for 200 years, women giving birth aged 80, picking a random person with a similar name as an ancestor and trying to fit them into a family tree with no plausible connection etc.), and then 7 of 8 people have just copied and regurgitated the info into their own tress and reposted it online. The only suggestion I would have for people using this program is to cross check any information you obtain from uploaded family trees. Much of this information can still be useful if you take it with a grain of salt and do your own investigations.

Also, you can usually find out how interested and thorough online posters have been buy using the Ancestry.com email system. In most cases, if they never get back to you, can't explain where their info and research came from, or try to engage you in a class action law suit for the millions your great, great grandfather supposedly lost to the crown, they're probably not very serious about the whole genealogy thing. Also, the user profile on Ancestry.com allows you to see if the person who a particular tree is unlikely to get in touch with you i.e. they haven't used the site for 12 months or so.

I've also found the Forum/Message Board system on Ancestry to be very useful, provided again that people make an effort to post useful info and not random questions like "Hey, my Dad came from X, his name was Bob, anyone know anything about my family?", usually with no follow up when people try to illicit further information. Again, there doesn't seem to be much administration or moderation of these Boards by Ancestry which is a shame.

Personally, I'd like to see Ancestry.com and FTM making more of an effort to administer and clean up (read delete) some of the more ridiculous uploads. Perhaps setting some minimum requirements and standards for posting info? However, given the potential time and costs to Ancestry and FTM I suppose that's pretty unlikely, but a girl can dream.

- Sarah

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 am 

Trishe wrote:
Hi:

I have Family Tree Maker 2009 installed but only use it to read files that others send me or to create files for others that use that program.

My main genealogy software is the ever-popular Personal Ancestral File (PAF) from the Mormans. It is free, easy to use, and its gedcoms are a prefect fit for most other software programs.

The only drawback with it is there is no place for photographs or records in .jpeg format. Right now, I keep those in family folders but I can see I may have to create a copy of my tree in FTM so I can store the photos and records with each individual. But I'm in no rush to do so as right now I can access any records & photos very quickly.

FTM is very pricey and not as simple to use!

FTM is quite easy to use if You use the help contents and knowledge base.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm 

I use Family Tree Maker.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm 

Family Tree Maker! Very easy to use.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 am 

I use the free version of Legacy (version 7.5), and find it to be very good.

(This is be the second time I've downloaded it ... Lost all the data from first go 'round when my computer died & I forgot to ask the computer guy to include Legacy files when he fixed it - really dumb, eh?)

I also am signed up with Ancestry because so much [official] data seems to be available only thru them. Plan to continue for 2 more months (so 3 in total), by which time I assume I'll have found all there is to find :-).

Cheers to All
J

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm 

yes I do...
Its called "My Heritage family tree builder" it can be found at http://www.myheritage.com

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm 

I use Legacy 7.5 and I love it. I love how it handles citations of evidence, its search and tag options and "potential problems" reports among many other features.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 pm 

I use an online program called The Next Generation of Genealogy sitebuilder. If you go with one of the recommended hosting sites you can get the install done for you. If you feel adventurous you can do it yourself.
On my computer I use Brother's Keeper which is a shareware program and is fully functional - you do not need to purchase to enable features.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:51 pm 

I use Family Tree Maker (2006). I also have an account on Ancestry.com that allows me to share with family members. Both are easy to use.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 am 

Hi - I am new to the board.
I use Reunion Software on my Mac.
Just wanted to get the Apple perspective in there :)
- Emily

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm 

Right now I use ancestry.ca. I mainly use it for recording purposes, and rarely use the hints, unless it is something I can find verification for.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 pm 

I am using "MacFamily Tree" and find it very easy to use and provides MANY options.
I started with ANCESTRY FAMILY TREE (when it was free in 2003) but found it a bit cumbersome. I think they are now charging for it aren't they? So, if anyone wants the free version, drop me a note.
All the best;
Duane

Board index » General » General Discussion