Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: My Arctic Tin of Potatoes
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm 

Good afternoon: I am researching the provenance of a family treasure: an unopened tin of potatoes found at Fort Conger, Ellesmere Island in 1948. I am trying to tie it to a particular Arctic expedition and there is a good possibility it may be from the U.S. 1881-83 Lady Franklin Bay expediton led by Adolphus Greely. I know Greely commissioned the expedition ship, the Proteus, in St. John's and I am trying to find out who may have provisioned the voyage. Since the ship sailed from St. John's, I assume the provisioning was done there too. I found on this site a list of businesses in St. John's in 1880-81. From what remains of the paper label on the tin, the merchant/canner's name appears to be "ay" or "ey" followed by "&Co.". Then there are the letters "Ne...". Is it possible that a St. John's newspaper may have carried an article on the ship's departure, mentioning who had provisioned it? Any info or assistance in my search would be greatly appreciated. regards, Pam Devine (Wakefield, QC)

Board index » General » General Discussion