Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Parents of Bride/Bridegrooms?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:08 pm 

I was wondering why I can not find records with the parents of the married individuals? Is this because the information was not taken when they were married in NL, or do I need to look in another spot?

I have found marriage information on this site, but never the names of the parents like other records in Canada do.

Is there somewhere I can find this information??

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Parents of Bride/Bridegrooms?
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm 

Lisa

I am not sure if this helps you but, the Catholic Church records and the NL Vital Statistics records I have reviewed show (at various times) the names of the bride and groom, ages, residence, occupation, date of marriage, date of registration, priest who married the couple, where they were married, and witnesses. I have not seen parents of the bride and groom in either set of records.

What I do is go back to birth Vital Statistics and Baptism records - the Vital Statistics (at least in the Bonavista Bay region) give you the parents' names and the date of birth as well as baptism. The Baptism record will give you the mother's maiden name. A longer process, but it can be done.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:10 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

I believe they were Methodist, but I will look again for christening records and I will try the Catholic Baptism records too just in case. I looked without much luck before, maybe I'll check again.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 pm 

I know that there are a great number of Methodist records at PANL (I was in Newfoundland last week doing research) but I do not know how the Methodist kept their marriage records. You may want to ask Judy Lucey, one of the researchers at the New England Genealogical & Historical Society (NEGHS). NEGHS had a week long genealogy seminar in Newfoundland in July 2009 and I know that the group leaders have put together at least one powerpoint presentation (on the NEGHS site) about Newfoundland research. She may be able to answer your question or lead you in the right direction.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:04 pm 

Excellent, I may have to plan a trip there too for that reason (I'm in Toronto).

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Lisa

Board index » General » General Discussion