Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Chain Cove/Chance Cove: An Examination in Folk History or Ta
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I hope this 'post' finds Newfoundland's genealogical community well!

I'm a historian heading out to Memorial University of Newfoundland to continue my studies - which is pretty thrilling! I'm poking around for subjects to explore and came across an interesting story which might be worth following up on. To pre-qualify, one of the reasons I like history is because the historical record is rarely complete (or available), leaving much to be found out!

I'm interested in the area of Chain Cove, which may or may not be synonymous with Chance Cove. To make a long story short, a rumor appears to exist which suggests that the entire population of Chain Cove/Chance Cove decided to immigrate to America en mass. Unfortunately, I don't know when or why. To be honest, I don't know what would compel people to do such a thing, and the possibility exists that a rumor or two has been embellished. Additionally, there is a difference between a mass exodus of people from a town and more of a 'trickle' over time.

I'm not sure how to proceed - thinking logically when I arrive in Newfoundland I should check the census records, assuming they are available for the region in question. That being said...I figured I'd see what people already know about the subject, as the affair is admittedly somewhat dubious!

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Chain Cove/Chance Cove: An Examination in Folk History o
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 am 

This is an intriguing story! If you don't get any answers, there is a Newfoundland facebook page, you could post there (hundreds of fans) and someone should know something.

Board index » General » General Discussion