Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: The story of three brothers ...
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm 

It seems to me that many people in Newfoundland say there were three brothers who came from England and they all went to different locations in Newfoundland. Any comments on that. I have been talking "ancestry" lately and I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

Post subject: Re: The story of three brothers ...
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 am 

yeah I was told that of the 3 Moores brothers, definately a load of BS :( Sad because it gives people a sense of false hope sometimes..can be discouraging for some

Post subject: Re: The story of three brothers ...
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 pm 

yes, a story like "three brothers" is often used to explain the occurrence of the same surname across many different parts of Newfoundland...

Sometimes, the story might turn out to be correct....As with the GOODYEARS, my grandmother's side....I am fairly certain that all the Goodyears of Newfoundland came from one single ancestor, who lived at Bryant's Cove, Conception Bay in the 1770s and 1780s, but with other families, such as ROBERTS, BARNES, MOORE, PARSONS, KING, SMITH, JONES, etc, etc, etc, those names are so common (and occur in so many different parts of Newfoundland) that there is no possible way that everyone in Newfoundland with that surname descends from a single ancestor...

So as to the truth of a story like this, it really depends on the surname and whether it is rare enough or you have done the research to discover whether everyone in Newfoundland with that same surname is related....

Ian Roberts

Board index » General » General Discussion