Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: WigWam Point
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:20 pm 

Can anyone tell me where is NFLD is Wigwam point? I have heard that it is near Botwood but have also heard it is on Fogo Island? Does it still exist? Does it have a new name?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: WigWam Point
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 am 
So, I looked into this, and you are correct. I have found two different references to Wigwam Point, one on Fogo Island, and another near Botwood, more specifically a place called Peterview.

I have found the following references to Wigwam Point in Fogo:

Quote:
The fortification at Fogo is credited to one James Coughlin, who had fishing premises at Wigwam point and who is said to have arrived in the mid 1760's, operating as an agent for merchants located in Bristol, England. Coughlin is also credited with being the father of Pamela Simms. Pamela is said to have been born at Fogo, however at an early age she traveled to England and eventually caught the eye of French nobility. One portrait of her may be seen today at the Palace of Versailles. Pamela led a colourful life and was married to the famous Irish patriot Lord Edward Fitzgerald as well as to a U.S. Consul.

http://www.town-fogo.ca/history.htm

and

Quote:
In 1967, the Fogo Island Shipbuilders and Producers Co-operative was formed with its main office at Joe Batts Arm. The Co-op did, however, build a wharf and shore facilities at Wigwam Point, Fogo, in 1972. In 1971 there were 561 people in Fogo: 85 fishermen, 26 clerks, 12 teachers, 68 laborers. There were 150 houses on the east side of the channel and 120 on the west.

http://nl.canadagenweb.org/ndfogo_fogo.htm

And I also found these references to Wigwam Point in Peterview:

Quote:
Wigwam Point is a piece of land located in Peterview, NL and was used by our ancestors during the summer months as a fishing ground. In past century, however, it has become a popular area for Mi’kmaq and non-Mi’kmaq families to gather and collect berries, fish, and have picnics. Mr. Gerald Beaton, whose family (the Paul’s) had originally owned the land, presented it to the Sple’tk First Nations in 2003 in order to preserve its heritage.

and

Over the past year, the Exploits (Sple’tk) Indian band council has been working towards obtaining the traditional and historically significant land of Wigwam Point in Peterview, NL. Mr. Gerald Beaton, a member of the Sple’tk Council and life-long resident of Wigwam Point, signed the land over to the EIBC on July 16, 2003. His two sisters, Elizabeth Keefe and Shirley O'Reilly who witnessed the document, accompanied him.

http://www.nlmikmaq.com/english/band8.htm

and

Quote:
Wigwam Point is a piece of land in Peterview that our ancestors traditionally used as a fishing ground during the summer months. Over the last century, it became a popular area for Mi’kmaq and non-Mi’kmaq families to gather and collect berries, fish for recreation, and have picnics. Gerald Beaton, whose family (the Pauls) owned the land, presented it to the Sple’tk First Nations Band in 2003 in order to preserve its heritage. The Sple’tk First Nations Band intends to develop the area in a manner respectful to our ancestors.

http://www.fni.nf.ca/bands.asp#spletk

I am not sure exactly what information you were looking for, but hopefully this is of some assistance.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:30 am 

Thank you Sherwin,

I was looking for the Paul's area of Wigwam point but stumbled on a picture on Facebook under the Old Fogo picutres that also said Wigwam point so then I was getting confused about which area to research under.

Do you know if the area has a different name? or is reserve land? Thank you for the information you have provided already. I appreciate it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm 

I know of a Wigwam Point just out the bay from Lewisport - 2-3 km. I know of no other infor as to why it was called by that name.

Bluff+Head

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:31 pm 

I have been researching my Mi'kmaw family and found the following regarding Wigwam Point:
Page 206 in the book "Moments in Time, A cultural Portrait of Green Bay, Newfoundland"
Before the Rowsells and Knights arrived, a band of Micmac Indians from Lake Bras d'Or, Nova Scotia had located in the area. These People lived in their own small village at Wigwam Point - one mile east of South Brook, and at Beachy Cove and Dock Point, both on the Northwest Side of the Bay. Wigwam Point was first settled in the 1870's by Micmac Chief Levi Joe. Beachy Cove was settled by the Joe and Bushy families in the early 1880's.
In 1921 therre wre five Micmac families involved in mining and one in lumbering. The local fishermen caught just 50 quintals of cod. The residents had 127 dogs and a horse, and cut 1300 logs. five furs were sold for $450.
Hope this helps in some way

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:51 pm 

Wigwam Point is 4 miles from Springdale. Levi Joe was the chief of his tribe and he was buried in the old Indian burial ground at Wigwam Point. Levi worked for my Grandfather Brown at Springdale. I have been there many times.

Newfie

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:09 pm 

Mrs Paul b. 1830 Wigwam Point, d. 1896 with Consumption

Mrs Mary Paul b. 1878, m- Owen Butler, Nov. 14, 1892

d. 1896, Wagwam Point with Consumption

Buttons

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm 

There are a few places known as Wigwam Point in Newfoundland. I know of 2. One is in Peterview, Notre Dame Bay. The other is about 1 mile east of South Brook. One of my granddad`s brothers is buried at one near Botwood (my dad remembers visiting the grave with him).

Board index » General » General Discussion