Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: HUH??? THE FIRST HORSE! EVER!..........IN POUCH COVE.......@ a WEDDING! DEC. 16,1831
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 am 
:lol: Found this Account of a POUCH COVE, NL Wedding:-(I think sometimes that a piece of "THE BLARNEY STONE IN IRELAND," was Chipped Off and Shipped OFF to ANOTHER Island - To Here!. Thanks to our Irish ancestors, we are nothing if not genetically gifted with creativity, humor, writers, painters, actors - musicians of all kinds...And, Humility!! The way of life here - back then - often mimicked the lives left on the other side of the Sea. That must have been a shock for people like my Maternal GGGFather, one JOHN FURLONG. Clongeen, County Wexford, Ire. 22 year's old in 1820. And! HE arrived long before the Potato Blight in 1850. Yet! He never went back!

For the first 400 years after John Cabot "found" NL in 1497 - humor and all it brings to a situation that could otherwise bring and DID BRING the strongest to their knees - kept the newcomers strong, satiated and in survival mode. They could not have lived without "the Bit of Blarney" brought here. These traits served them well until Education became the Great Equalizer! And, our intelligent but quite poor - especially The R.C. sector -FINALLY had access to Free Education - such as St. Patrick's Hall Boy's School - my late Dad's Almamater. No holding back or having to doff a cap and slightly bow - once the young finally got free by attending Free Schools - which lead them on to higher levels of Education. We live wonderful lives and owe our situations today to their determination - to get the children Educated. "Thanks" just doesn't cut it!

Enjoy THIS example of someone trying to put a funny spin on a Wedding in Pouch - December 16, 1831..Another "Cautionary Tale."

"The marriage between ISAAC KIRBY, bach., POUCH COVE, NL & JANE RYAN, ADAM'S COVE took place Dec. 16, 1831, Pouch Cove." No other info was given.

However, a note in the MARGIN OF THE PAGE STATES - "It (The Marriage,) was the First Service in The Church of England, Pouch Cove.

Isaac Kirby, the Groom, rode a HORSE to the Wedding.

Ready for this? - "Mr. Kirby's HORSE was the FIRST HORSE EVER SEEN IN POUCH COVE."

YA THINK??? My maternal Grandmother, Ann Kelly, Was born in PouchCove/ShoeCove. 1874. Nan's Parents were John Kelly, Daniel's COVE, not Hr. and Ann MURRIN, Pouch Cove. In 1904, Ann Kelly married, Patrick Furlong, also born St. John's, NL -June 02, 1874.(Sev. dates for year of birth have been found. What's knew about that? Nada.

Patrick Furlong was the ELDEST SON of Lawrence & Catherine Tobin-Furlong. Their wedding reception was held @ "The Summer Cottage," of PROWSE, Author of The Book of NL. There was a special friendship between PROWSE and ANN KELLY & a d. of PROWSE who was b. with mental disorder. Both the account of my Paternal Grandparents's wedding reception, 1904 and the account of PROWSE'S d. - due to her condition - can be found On Shelly's Lists of "Yearly Events" as taken from the Papers of the Day, etc.

Pictures of Pouch Cove, accounts of yearly family visits by my Grandmother to see her family.( I,too went to Pouch Cove to visit Great Aunt Bride Kelly-Wall.) These old pictures clearly show what appear to be HORSES out in the Pastures!!!! Why I have a sketch done by a Great Aunt @ Smithville. Around 1890. A landscape and seascape of Pouch Cove. Did Great Aunt Bride Furlong sketch sev. horses in the meadow because there weren't any horses in Pouch Cove??? Don't think so.

In the days without Ford's contribution to humanity, Nanny & Pop Kelly-Furlong owned a Horse and buggy - which they got in Pouch Cove. How did the early population of Pouch Cove get to town on a daily or weekly basis without Equine Assistance?

A Horse of Another Colour, methinks! And! The Groom, Mr. ISAAC KIRBY who LIVED in Pouch Cove @ the time of his marriage to JANE RYAN, ADAM'S COVE, NL - how could HE and all the other good Pouch Cove/Shoe Cove people survive without horses in 1831. Ans. THEY COULDN'T. Horses were vital to EVERY settlement.To go and get vittles in "town," to get to the Beaches in June in 1831, their horse pulling a wooden cart. The horse and cart went right to the shoreline during caplin time. Farmers used casting nets to catch the then WAVES composed of nothing BUTcaplin - unlike today. They would fill their wooden carts & return to Pouch Cove to offload the caplin to be used as fertilizer on their land where vegetables were grown by all.
How would the mid-wife get to Pouch Cove in a Winter Storm to help with the birth of a baby?..What do you think about this funny albeit untrue tale? Anna. :lol:

Last edited by Anna Angel-Woolgar on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poll removed. Not related to topic.

Post subject: Re: HUH??? THE FIRST HORSE! EVER!..........IN POUCH COVE....
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

The MUN site has digitised books on-line; in one I came across an account of an Englishman, a surveyor named Beete who travelled to Pouch Cove in the 1830s. It tells of how impossible it was to travel (even on foot) in those days. If I remember correctly he wanted to walk to Cape St Francis from Pouch Cove and the locals laughed at him. He ploughed on anyway and in the end he was defeated by the undergrowth and had to resort to hiring a boat and crew to get him where he wanted to go. There are also many accounts on this site of the Road Reports; which list the men who were recruited in hard times to build local roads, and that I think was in the 1840s. The great number of petitions of the residents of Pouch Cove and other outports to the authorities in St Johns also indicate that the condition of the existing roads was poor. So maybe there is some truth in the Isaac Kirby story; I doubt the people never actually saw a horse before, but maybe he brought the first horse to reside in the town.

Sharon Lewison

Board index » General » General Discussion