Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Dillons from St. John's
 Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm 

Any body with info on Mary Patrick Dillon, born about 1867. She married a John R. Mullins in the Methodist Church in St. John's on Dec 6th, 1890. Family have said her father was a boxer or fighter of some kind, nicknamed Thumper Dillon. John R. Mullins and Mary had eight kids, Maude, William, John, James , Margaret, Patrick, Bertha, and Eric. She died in St. John's in 1917.

Post subject: Re: Dillons from St. John's
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:11 pm 

Hello,
I am a DILLON from St. John's - southside road section...living in Canada now - Ontario. I have traced my family back to my grandfather MAtthew Joseph (1904-1993) married to Elizabeth Coady d. 1963. Matt's father dies aboard ship in 1904, and he was left orphaned and put in Mt. Cashel orphange. Hi smother was Bridget Mealey died 1915 aged 36. If I come across any information on your section of family - my grandfater had a sister Mary, I will inform you.
Pass on any infor you may have as well.
Thanks
Tom

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:48 am 

Hi Tom, so good to hear from you, I had been wondering about your Matthew Dillon and Elizabeth Coady as to how they fit in to the Dillons on Southside. If his father died aboard ship I do have it recorded somewhere in my notes, He was also named Matthew Dillon died of a heart attack aboard the SS Grandlake at age 46 yrs at the sealhunt. In the 1870 census Thomas is living on Southside, there was also a John Dillon living there. Thomas died and his wife Mrs.Thomas is named in the next census, (she died about 1898 first name Ellen) when she passed the next census taken Matthew is recorded. How much of the family have you pieced together? I've run into a few people online who are seaching the same Dillons. You have a big family for sure if your from the Southside Dillons. My dads sister married a grandson of Francis Dillon, he died in a terrible house fire on Southside about 1913, he also left 5 kids, I think he was your Matthew's brother. I am going to be out of contact for awhile, in the process of moving back home to St.John's after 32 yrs in Alberta, then end of Aug heading to Ireland the land of our ancestors for 3 weeks. In your post I see a string of gaelic words? I'm trying to teach myself, what does it mean? I'm here until Aug 19th, hope to hear from you. Debbie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 am 

A Deb a chara (Dear Deb)
Go raibh maith agat 0 thanks fr the reply....i am delighted to hear of some other connection to my family....I hhave only gotten as far as the said Matthew on GrandLake...My grandfather was very secretive about things and talking about ould times....but like yerself I plod along trying to piece things together....it is good to have someone else to share some information....I envy your trip to ireland..we have been truing to ger there the last few years but something always comes up..
As for the Irish, the father of said Elizabeth Coady (my paternal g-mother) was a native irish speaker born in Outer Cove/Torbay,,,he died in 63 and i have a brief recollection of hum, but he would still say a few words and prayers as Gaeilge....My name for this group is talamh an eisceannach - which means Newfoundlander in Irish....Nfld is the only place outside of Europe which has a distinctive Irish name for the place - Talamh an Éisc - the land of the fish, literally. I have been studying and listenting to Irish radio online for a while now...just do not have too many people to speak with - one friend of my late mother is from Galway and she speaks with me from time to time. Enjoy and we will be in touch ion September
Slán
Tomás

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm 

Hi Tom, hearing from you has made my day, we are going to be friends even if we're not related. Imagine you interested in Gaelic, can't wait to get over there to see what teaching aids they have, I knew talamh was land, I have all my stuff packed. Are you on facebook? If you can get on look up the Southside Road site, alot of pictures there of the Dillons from Southside. You mention your from Matthew and Elizabeth you will get some info, alot of the girls online where born in the 40's and they remember alot about the old people on the road. my user name is Debmullins497, the numbers 497 was my grandfathers house # on Southside. Where you born home? My husbands family live in Torbay now, the land of the Coady's, it's such a small world. I can't believe I found a Thomas Dillon in Ontario decended from the Thomas on Southside that I have been studing, this is the only Dillon family I can find that I think is mine, all my other relatives on my fathers side have come from that same road so why not the Dillon's. Hope to hear from you again, Debbie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 pm 

Thanks for the reply.....I tired to search for the facebook site, but I couldn't find it. Am anxious to exchange some info...I have Matthew's death notice from 1904, and know his wife - Bridget Mealy - died at age 36 in 1916, and that my grandfather Matthew Dillon was in Mt. Cashel Orphanage for a while- and knowing what we knowledge now I kind of know why he was secretive about stuff. An mbeidh tu ag dul go dti contae Ros Comain? Are you going to Roscommon when in Eire - as I was told tht is where our branch of the family hailed from, though I do not if that is true.
Keep in touch
Tom
thomas.dillon@sympatico.ca

Board index » General » Introductions