Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Maddigan family
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm 

Looking for information on Maddigan family during 19th century

Post subject: Re: Maddigan family
 Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:13 am 

Hello. My dad's father's family is from Harbour Grace Newfoundland and they were Madigan with one N only. Please refer to McAlpine's Directory 1894-1897 and you will note Richard, James, Patrick and William as tailor's from this region. I have an obituary of Richard the head of the family indicating that he died in 1907 and also that he came to NFLD on the transport steamship the Antelope in 1858. I do not know the source of the obituary it is a photocopy. He first came to St John's as a tailor. My research indicates that there were Maddigans (James) and Michael who were also tailor's in St. John's. I am thinking that although the names were spelled differently there may be some relation. James Maddigan died October 31, 1898 and he left a will which was settled on January 26, 1899. I have done quite a bit of research on the Madigans from Harbour Grace,but it seems that records are missing and my understanding is that they may have been burnt in a church fire. Also Madigan seemed to be a very common name in Newfoundland way back when. Richard Madigan's obituary indicates that he originates from Mooncoyn, Ireland. Hope that this might help you out. :P

Board index » General » Introductions