Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Searching ALL the names listed below- hoping to find relatives that I may have missed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm 
Hi! My name is Anna Angel-Woolgar,RN - This is my First Post to what appears to be a most intriguing, well-thought-out, easy-to-use Genealogy Site. (I have been a Lister on ROOTS since 2003 - my name should be familiar to those on that Site.)

I am the eldest of 6 -"East End Townies" who grew up along The Banks of Rennies River. My parents were Gerald P. ANGEL-think Regatta! - and Irene FURLONG-ANGEL. My Mother's parents were Ann KELLY & Patrick FURLONG. M. 1904. PATRICK was the First child b. to Lawrence Furlong and Catherine Tobin. Lawrence opened Smithville Hostelry in 1900. Their land was where St. Pat's Mercy Home to Gonzaga High, St. Piux Tenth Church & Rennies Mill Elementary all stand, today - " Land acquired by The R.C. Church" in (c) 1955."

Names I have an interest in are:- Kent, FURLONG, Tobin, Kelly, Murrin, Flynn,ANGEL, Sgt. John Smith, an Officer from Bristol, England & assigned to Fort Townsend & Signal Hill Garrison etc. Sgt. John Smith stayed in St. John's when protection by British from the French was no longer needed. Married Ann KENT - the Maternal AUNT of my GGFATHER, Lawrence Furlong. He was b. here, the youngest of @ least 4 siblings, b. 1843. As The SMITH's were "without issue!" GGfather Lawrence FURLONG was "adopted" by that couple and moved to Legrow's Property.It then became known as Smithville as they worked on building a cottage. During the Summer, Smithville Property was prized by courting couples and they often went by Horseless carriage to walk around the grounds, enjoy ice cream, sundaes, Cold drinks, Tea and sandwiches. Baked Goods Sold were homemade bread, cakes, Rolls, and my favorite when, as a girl of Ten, I would "help" my Great Uncle Jim in his huge bakery. HE WOULD LET ME SCRAPE OF THE PASTRIES THAT WERE DEEMED TO BROWN. Sitting on one of the tables in the Bakery, I would spread butter over my coveted pastries - sev. layers filled with Homemade Jam. When my MOTHER, IRENE FURLONG-Angel, b. Jan.30, 1914 @ Smithville and died Dec. 01, 1999, she was the LAST Of Patrick FURLONG and ANN KELLY-FURLONGS's siblings.

Feast or famine is a good way to describe the way infants arrived @ Smithville. Many of my Maternal Great Aunts and Uncles did not marry. As a result, I have only 2 First Cousins from the Marrage Held At. Prowse's "summer cottage" - Cove Rd. Now Portugal Cove Rd."In the COUNTRY!"

The 2 cousins are the sons of UNCLE JAMES FURLONG and GENEIEVE MALONE, Bay Bulls.
Jim Furlong and John COTTER FURLONG - the latter named for Great Uncle Rev. Father John Cotter.......So, when someone is looking for a FURLONG, I know from experience as a child and older if a FURLONG is a relative.

Also, I am working in conjection with Francis McAllister in an attempt to locate The ANGELL who settled in Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove, NL. In Mid 1600's & get all the back to him by doing genealogy "in reverse."

It has often been difficult to find "the lost" in St. John's, NL. However, because I have lived here all my life, I am quite familiar with most families in THE BIG CITY.

I hope I shall find many @ NGB-Message Board, etc. who will doubtless help me and I them on this fantastic Site. Anyone who thinks I might be of help with a lost link in THEIR family, or,any genealogy search for that matter, Get in touch. Pleased to meet you people out there! Anna.

Post subject: Re: Searching ALL the names listed below- hoping to find relatives that I may have missed.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am 

Hi Anna. Interested to read your post, particularly in relation to the Angel (or as our line is now, the Angell family). If you don't mind me asking are you descended from the Petty Harbour Angel's, and if so I would love to know the line.

I'm descended through from the (what we currently believe is the) "first" Petty Harbour Angel/l - Samuel Angell (d. bef. 1725) as follows: his son John Angel b. 1725 - his son Edward Angel b. 1760, his son Edward Angel b. 1804, his son Edward James Angel b. 20 Mar 1840 and the last of my line born in Petty Harbour. Edward James Angel emigrated to New Zealand (probably on board the brigantine "Clara" which departed St. John's on 24 Dec 1864, and arrived in Onehunga, New Zealand on 30 June 1865). He later married an Elizabeth Brace of Newfoundland who was also on board. On arrival, Edward James Angel changed the spelling to "Angell". His son was Albert Edward Angell b. 25 Oct 1869 in Huia, New Zealand. His son Gordon Owen Angell b. 30 Sep 1910 was my grandfather), and his son is my father Graeme Angell.

Based on your father's background, you may be interested to know Arthur Albert Angell (son of Albert Edward Angell and my great uncle) was (among other things) a prominent New Zealand yachtsman, sailing and part owning the famous gaff rigged cutter Ariki. He also served a term as Commodore of The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron from 1955-1957. Apparently he and his brothers took a keen interest in yachting for many years.

I visited Newfoundland and in particular Petty Harbour last year in August and enjoyed every moment walking around St. John's and Petty Harbour. Have had a wonderful time sharing information with various people, who have all been wonderfully enthusiastic.

You mentioned your interest in tracing the original Angel settler of Petty Harbour and was wondering if you'd read my post in the Angel's of Petty Harbour thread by Trishe Willis. I was considering the possible connection with the "first" Samuel Angel's and Maker, Cornwall, England and Dittisham, Devonshire, England. My father and I had been considering the connection based on information relating to Samuel Angell's children as listed in his will later probated in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. Would love to share ideas, theories and connections.

Regards - Sarah Angell

Post subject: Re: SARAH ANGELL & her CONTACT WITH A "BOB" ANGEL - quite a while back. Anna.
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm 
Hi! SARAH - Anna here! Hope you read the info in my 2 posts of today, May 05, 2010.

Just wanted to know - I have been reading all the posts - are you the SARAH ANGELL who sent me a Christmas/Birthday - Dec. 22/44 CARD?

Also, in one of your posts to TRISHE, I believe, you mentioned you had once been in touch with a "BOB ANGEL" here. HE told you his family was definitely connected to the John Angell - the original Protestant - who we thought to be an R.C. PIRATE - instead of a Protestant PRIVATEER.

I was wondering if Bob Angel, Warren St., St.. John's and Sandy Point, Eastport, NL., could be my BROTHER? We knew all about the PIRATE-thing - family tales. AS WELL, my Father was in possession of a letter (c) 1914 from the Eastern U.S. MASS., probably Boston, or Maine, or New Hampshire. In this letter, the writer also said he could "prove" a direct decendency an thus, the "monies" held in Chancery in England. (Of course, even if proof was absolute today, in 2010, you can't that back anymore. If it is there or ever was!

Dad considered the letter "Bull" as did your Father. I do not know what happened to the letter. But, this Pirate, private thing definitely has been acknowledged - from "PITTY HR. to The Archieves At MUN. There are so many "threads" to this story. we could set up a cotton mill. But, I doubt if we will even be acknowledged as being related to the nefarious John Angell.................The crew in Petty Hr.?Maddox Cove Hated them - he and his son. There were sev. trips back to England before they fell "Out of favor" with the Crown and their days of being a Protestant Privateer who trained horses for the Royalty of the Day @ Stonehenge.

This story involves the "murder" of a lawyer from St. John's who went to England to attempt to re-claim the bounty our John Angell and son, according to one "thread" of the story on their behalf. Said Lawyers was "murdered the night before "their day in court." Probably true!

Another "thread has the "old man" dying in England, the son returning here - hated in Petty Hr./Maddox Cove - ekking out a horrible existance there.

And today, I doubt that Royalty would want to admit they once had "Protestant Privateers - John Angell and Son once being in great favor - "acquiring" goods for THE CROWN illegally - albeit justifiable as far as the Monarchy in the mid-sixteen hundreds were concerned. Camilla and Charles were here in the Fall - her first visit. I can't see myself "bowing" before them - or anyone for that matter.

I'll tell you about my Dad and his life-long love of and involvement with The ROYAL St. JOHN'S REGATTA held annually on Quidi Vidi Lake - just below Mount Carmel R.C. Cemetery. (At least our GGF. and hopefully another generation can look on from their graves there - and Petty Hr. Old Graveyard and wish my nieces and nephews and brothers as they keep the Angel love of The Regatta and involvement with it, alive. Anna.

Board index » General » Introductions