Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Family
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:07 pm 

I am looking for information/relatives on my grandfather William Brandon of Hands Harbour NL..

Post subject: Re: Family
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 am 

Greetings & Welcome,

I think I found your grandfather under the surname of Branton in Hant's Harbour. On the 1921 census for Hant's Harbour, Trinity Bay, William (13) was living with his parents and siblings. His parents were Newman Branton (57) and Roseannah (52) and his siblings were James (28), Edith (25), Charles (22), Ethel (20), and Lily (10?). I also came across some of the family on the 1935 and the 1945 censuses for Hant's Harbour. I hope this information helps in furthering your family history research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 pm 

Hi Mark..Thank you very much..My father Newman George Branton (passed away in 2012) is son of William Branton and his first wife Louisa....Am trying to find if they had a second child or if William had a child with his second wife Maude....

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:02 am 

Greetings,

On the 1935 Census, William, under the surname of Brantom, is residing with his wife, his parents and two other family members. The household consists of two families. The members of the first are Newman Branton (Head, 71), Roxanna (Wife, 65), Edith K. E. (Daughter, 38), and Olive (Granddaughter, 8). The members of the second are only William N. (Head, 27) and Louisa (Wife, 26).

Louisa passes away on 28 August 1938 at the age of 28 in Hant's Harbour from pulmonary tuberculosis. She was born in Brownsdale and was buried in Hant's Harbour. It seems that she may not have lived long enough to have a second child.

On the 1945 Census, the situation is similar with the exception Olive is not in residence. Newman Brantom (Head, 81), Roxanna (Wife, 76), and Edith (Daughter, 46). William N. (Head, 38) and Maude (Wife, 36). William and Maude have no children.

I hope this information helps in furthering your family research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm 

Hello...Thank you for the information...Newman ( my father) and Olive were raised by Edwin and Dora Dicks...Olives mother is Edith...William gave Newman up when Louisa died....At some point Olive was also given up for adoption...Newman's father and Olives mother are brother and sister...though they were never officially adopted by the Dicks, Olive and Newman referred to each other as brother and sister...Growing up she was Aunt Olive to us, and the only member of my dad's family we ever met....though William lived for years after ,we never met him...He passed away in a retirement home in Clarks beach..and never wanted any contact with my father after Louisa passed away..

Board index » General » Introductions