Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Bishop Family
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 pm 

Greetings from California, USA! We recently learned through DNA matching that my grandfather had a full sibling. His mother, Jessie Bishop, was from St. John's. It's possible she either had the other child there or that she herself adopted my grandfather, perhaps from a sibling with other children. My purpose in joining this forum is to learn what I can about her life and ancestors in Newfoundland with the ultimate hope that we might identify the missing sibling.

Post subject: Re: Bishop Family
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm 

hello Apples. there are many Bishops from newfoundland could you give your grandfathers name and birth date and where he lived when you knew him. There are a number Jessie Bishops from Newfoundland that were born back in 1800's.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:20 pm 

Hi Doug! Thanks for your response.

My ancestor's name was Jessie (possibly Ann or Alice) Bishop. We have US records (naturalization, etc) indicating her birth was on or around July 4, 1885 in St. John's Newfoundland. Jessie was pregnant when she married and likely lied about her age too. Her actual birth date was probably after 1885 - maybe 1887?. She died in 1948 in Massachusetts. Her married name was Hart.

Family lore has it that Jessie's father was an extremely cruel seaman who had many wives. Jessie's Massachusetts marriage license lists a father as William H (possibly Henry) Bishop and mother as Mary Jane Noseworthy. US records also indicate that Mary Jane, at least, was Methodist.

Things are less clear to us at this point. We believe William H Bishop was born around 1855 in St. John's and that Mary Jane was born around 1857, also in St. John's. I found a marriage cert for a couple with those names in 1878 as well as five possible siblings: Lena, Elizabeth, Henry, William, and Walter. Probably half-siblings too, if Henry had as many wives as we've been told. But, I'm not entirely confident in this info and may be looking at someone else.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Thanks!
Heather

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:30 am 

Greetings Heather,

Mary Jane, William Henry Bishop's first wife, passed away 29 April 1899 at 42 years old in Chelsea, Massachusetts. Her parents were listed as Samuel Noseworthy and Sarah Segrew. Her place of birth was St. John's, Newfoundland.

William H. Bishop (48, Wid., 2nd) married Leah Evely (37, Wid., 2nd) on 21 May 1903 in Boston. His parents were Henry Bishop and Julia Bradbury and her parents were William Pottle and Lavinia. William and Leah were both born in St. John's, Newfoundland. Leah passed away on 30 August 1919 at 54 years old in Chelsea, Massachusetts. Her parents were listed as William T. Pottle and Levina Bess.

They had two sons. Francis was born 3 November 1904 in Chelsea, Massachusetts and passed away on 28 August 1970 in Everett, Massachusetts. He was also referred to as Frank or Frankie. Frederick was born 5 October 1907 in Chelsea, Massachusetts and passed away on 7 January 1910 in Chelsea at the age of 2 years, 3 months, 1day.

William H. Bishop (66, Wid2, 3rd) married Matilda J. Foote (53, 1st) on 27 November 1922 in Everett, Massachusetts. His parents and place of birth were the same as on his second marriage. Matilda's parents were Nelson C. Foote and Matilda Scoville. Her place of birth was Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. William passed away in 1929 in Chelsea, Massachusetts.

I hope this helps in furthering your research by filling in some of your gaps.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Board index » General » Introductions