Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: New to this site
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:21 pm 

Hi my name is Pauline. I'm searching for 17th century information on a particular family and am not sure how to post or to which Forum I should be posting.

I'm trying to trace the origins of a prisoner from Placentia captured by the French and carried back to Quebec in 1697. The name in Quebec is Joseph Thomas-Ouillem. The Ouillem is a frenchized version of William. A 12 year old English boy was captured in 1697. When he was baptized in 1698 he is said to be originally from Isle of Jersey. Parents unknown. Yet when he married in 1715 his parents are given. I'm beginning to think his surname is Toms not Thomas. In fact I found the name of William Toms on a list of persons in the Ferryland colony, but no details.

I'm looking for help to get on the correct forum. I've been on the Newfoundland Heritage site for many hours and still can't put the pieces together. I'm thinking that Placentia was a French fortress so why would a 12 year old English boy be there and why would the French want to capture him and take him back to Quebec?

Board index » General » Introductions