Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Trying to find records for the ancestors of Silas King of Ba
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:23 pm 

Hi there! This is my first posting as a newbie to this forum. I am hoping to find information and specific records for my grandfather's ancestors. My grandfather Silas King was born in Bauline in St. John's East, in the summer of 1893. He was the son of fisherman James King (born Dec. 13, 1864 in Broad Cove and who subsequently died in 1900 in Bauline.) Silas King's mother was Mary Ann (née Ryan) Mary Ann Ryan was born in Pouch Cove in 1850 as the daughter of John Ryan (Raines,) of Pouch Cove (1775 - 1851.) Mary's mother was Sarah Ann (Susanna) Moulton born in Adam's Cove in 1822. Susanna died in Pouch Cove in 1871. Mary Ann (née Ryan) was married three times. She was first married to John Whalen of Bauline or Pouch Cove (although I saw an Ancestry record with "William" Whalen (Whelen) being mentioned rather than a "John." Family history claims claims that Silas' mother's first marriage was to John Whalen/Whelan not to William and I can't find any documents to prove that Mary Ann married a John Whalen/Whelan. After being widowed to Mr. Whalen/Whelen, Mary Ann married James King who was my grandfather Silas King's father. James King died of an asthma attack in 1900 in Bauline leaving my grandfather and his brother Eli fatherless as very young children. Mary Ann being again widowed, it is believed that she then married a third time to a Mr. Rees/Reece. Ancestry.ca has been unsuccessful in locating enough records for me to substantiate family history. There are so many large families in that period of history and so many individuals with the same first and last names that without proper record identification, it is frustrating to try to know whether or not the family trees that I see on Ancestry's website are correctly attributed to "my" family! If anyone out there on this forum can help me find proper records to attach to my Ancestry.ca tree, I'd be very grateful indeed! Thanks very much for taking the time to read all of this posting!

Post subject: Re: Trying to find records for the ancestors of Silas King o
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 am 

Hello,
Here is a provincial record of marriage for you to consider. Mary Jane King, listed as widow, age 48, of Bauline married Reuben Rees, widower, age 56, of Bell Isle. The marriage took place in Portugal Cove on Dec. 9, 1901.
Here is the link to that document on familysearch.org. Line #11 on the page.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1790939
I note the difference in Mary Ann's name and age but thought it worth sending to you. Adds more confusion but that's genealogy for you.
L. Moss

Post subject: Re: Trying to find records for the ancestors of Silas King o
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 am 

Thank you very much L. Moss for your reply! I saw this document on Ancestry a while ago but it is hard to know if the use of "Jane" is a transcription error or just the wrong person! I wonder if there is a historical society in Pouch Cove that would have more information?

Board index » General » Introductions