Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Greetings from Boston (and Cape Ann)
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:26 am 

Great thanks to all of you who've put together such a comprehensive and entertaining historical site, It's been immensely helpful to me as I trace our newly discovered Newfoundland family. The information on this site eclipses what I've found elsewhere.

I was raised in Boston but now live in Gloucester-- places with deep connections to the Atlantic Provinces. My ancestry is primarily Irish. I'd assumed that Canada was a brief way station for the 19th century generation that emigrated to Boston.

In fact, my mother's family appears to have significant roots in Newfoundland. I will post individual queries on the Surnames and Looking For forums.

For now, I have question about a disturbing episode in Newfoundland history.

Was my ancestor Richard Fleming the same person who was involved in the Harbour Grace Affray?

Because of the terrible consequences it was an international story with wide coverage of the trial. I could find no identifying descriptions of any of the named prisoners (age, occupation, address).

Richard Fleming was a Harbour Grace shoemaker with a workplace on Water Street. He emigrated to Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1887, not long after the acquittals of those charged.

Richard and his wife Hannah Sheehan were born in Newfoundland (St. John's, I think) in the early 1850's and married in Harbour Grace in 1873. All their children were baptized in Harbor Grace.

I hope to visit Harbour Grace with my London-born C of E husband-- an irony of history, perhaps.

Peace,

Alice

Board index » General » Introductions