Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Searching for info on Gould family who lived in Harbour Grac
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:32 am 

Hello,
I am trying to find information on my maternal grandmother's family who lived in Harbour Grace between around 1865-1915 or so. The last name was Gould. My grandmother (Eliza Mary) was the youngest child of 7, born in 1888 to James and Anastasia Gould. I believe James and Anastasia immigrated from Dublin, Ireland in the 1860s. The Gould children and birthdates were:
Michael Gould 1869
Anne Gould 1871
William Joseph Gould 1872
Anastasia (Jr.) Gould 1874
Catherine Mary Gould 1876
Eliza Mary and James Henry 1884

James and Anastasia Sr. are apparently buried in the Catholic cemetery in Harbour Grace. I was able to find James Sr. in one of the very old directories on this site, he's listed as a planter and they lived on Le Marchant St. My grandmother left Harbour Grace around 1906 or 1907. She died in 1952, before I was born, and my mother (one of her daughters) died in 1977 when I was 22, and I never had much information on her parents. I have a few cousins in Nova Scotia and the US who were able to give me some info on the Goulds, but none of us know a great deal. I vaguely remember my mother telling me that she had cousins with the surname Dooley in Nfld, again, probably Harbour Grace, Carbonear or that region. I looked in the later censuses (1920s, 30s, 40s) and found no Goulds in Harbour Grace by that time. I realize that this is really a stab in the dark, but I found this site and wondered if anyone out there might be related to this family that seemed to disappear in the early part of the 20thC.

Board index » General » Introductions