Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Trying to find he birthplace of a great grandfather
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:51 pm 

To anyone who can help:

My great grandfather, James Hoke, is buried in Joe Batt's Arm Roman Catholic Cemetery. The records there indicate that he lived from 1850 to 1904. My question is where was he born and how do I find out, e.g. sources for records, etc.

In the family, there is a story that he came over from England or Ireland. If he was not born in Newfoundland/Labrador, I would then shift my focus to trying to find the fishing schooner on which he sailed, port of departure, birth place/family on the other side, etc.

To start, any suggestions about these questions would be appreciated.

George

Post subject: Re: Trying to find he birthplace of a great grandfather
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:14 am 

Hello George,

There was a Bridget Hawk born on 1 February 1895 in Joe Batt's Arm, NL and was baptized 10 February 1895. Her parents were listed as James and Bridget. She arrived in the United States in 1922 to join her brother Michael. She married Daniel Murphy in either New Jersey or New York. She died 24 April 1938 in Brooklyn, NY and was buried 27 April 1938 in St. John's Cemetery. Her death information contained her parents' names and their country of birth. They were James Hoke born in England and Bridget Etheridge born in Newfoundland. I hope this information helps you in furthering your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post subject: Re: Trying to find he birthplace of a great grandfather
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 am 

Mark:

Thank you very much for this information re: Jim Hoke from Joe Bat's Arm. I am just curious as to the documentation for this information, since I have in mind compiling my family history with supporting sources. Secondly, any help or suggestions with how to find out where in England Jim Hoke was born would be helpful as well.

George

Board index » General » Introductions