Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: New - HELLO BOARD - Searching for family - Fugitive Slaves 1830-1860 timeframe
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:05 pm 

Good Morning Board!

I am not sure if I am in the right place, but trust you'll redirect me if appropriate.

I am searching for my family members who are descendants of a family of slaves on two closely connected plantations in Maryland, United States. My Great-great Grandfather grew up as a slave on this plantation until he ran away at the age of 16, in 1848. By that point, three of his brothers and sisters had already run away. On the plantation, their last names were Kelly and Brooks. They also may have used their mother's maiden name, Snowden. I believe, however, that they may have changed their last names when they became fugitives.

I am not searching for my great-great grandfather, as he went on to work with the abolitionists and we have a great deal of documentation on him, including a narrative of his life, written by him and handed down through the family.

I am searching for his brothers and sisters.
In his narrative, he writes the following:

"My brother, Reuben, went to Halifax Nova Scotia and from there to St. John's, New Brunswick where he was married and settled in business. He died at Fredrickton near St. John's in 1853. He left a widow and two daughters, one married a fur dealer in Halifax and the other married to a book-keeper at the Shirt and Collar Co., Troy, NY"

I may end up with more detail, but there documents that have not yet come into my possession. So, this is what I have to work with right now. I do not know what name Reuben would have used. I assume he kept his first name, but is likely to have changed his last, as did my GGGrandfather.

It is likely to Reuben escaped with his brother and sister: Remus and Sarah. We know that Sarah turned up in Vermont, USA. I don't know what became of Remus and have not yet surfaced clues on him.

Questions:
Was this area (St. John's and/or Fredrickton) known for being a destination for fugitive slaves from the US?
Is there a certain cemetery in which a fugitive slave may have been buried?
Does anyone have names of fur dealers in Halifax from this period?
Is there a particular census I should be checking?

Any other information is most appreciated. Being that I live in the US (Philadelphia), I have no frame of reference for Canada. I'd really love to trace Reuben's descendants and, someday, reconnect our family..

Much obliged!

Post subject: Re: New - HELLO BOARD - Searching for family - Fugitive Slaves 1830-1860 timeframe
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 am 

Hi,
I think there may be a mix-up here between Saint John, New Brunswick and St. John's, Newfoundland.

I think the one you want is in New Brunswick - that would be Saint John with no "s".

Ian Roberts

Post subject: Re: New - HELLO BOARD - Searching for family - Fugitive Slaves 1830-1860 timeframe
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:46 am 

And coincidentally, there is a Frederickton in Newfoundland - spelt with the K, but the one you want in New Brunswick is spelt without it - Fredericton.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm 

Hi
What you are looking for is probably on this site: www.canadagenweb.org
For the province choose ontario & then Essex county.Slaves crossed the river from Detroit to windsor.There is a statue of a black family on the river pointing across to windsor it says freedom.i have a picture of it.This site may be of some help to you.You can certainly learn alot browsing through the site.Hope you find some information there.All the province's are listed you mentioned New Brunswick,Nova Scotia.Good Luck

Board index » General » Introductions