Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Hello from Nova Scotia!
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 pm 

Hello!

I've posted here a few times, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Colleen and my family is from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My parents both had grandparents from Newfoundland, which is what lead me to this website and forum.

Names in my tree so far are Abbott (Bonavista), Walsh (Petty Harbour), Pasher, Sweeney, Wiseman, Clare, Cooke, and Sampson. I have uploaded to GedMatch (A964738) in case anyone is curious to compare kits.

It's nice to meet everyone! :)

Post subject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia!
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 am 

Hello,
Have we been in contact before? I have not done GEDMatch, but would like to possible exchange information. I have info on a lot of families from Petty Harbour. I may not be able to reply until Sunday, as I'll be out of town for a few days.
Chris

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:52 am 

Chris_Shelley wrote:
Hello,
Have we been in contact before? I have not done GEDMatch, but would like to possible exchange information. I have info on a lot of families from Petty Harbour. I may not be able to reply until Sunday, as I'll be out of town for a few days.
Chris

I don't think we have! My great grandparents were John Walsh (1879 - 1961) and Elizabeth Sweeney (c1880 - 1939) of Petty Harbour, married in 1904 by Rev. R. Tierney shortly before coming over to Glace Bay. John's parents were Patrick Walsh and Mary Clare. I believe both of John's parents died of tuberculosis in 1892. Elizabeth was the daughter of Owen/Eugene Sweeney and Mary Pasher. Owen did come to Glace Bay and died in 1916. I don't know much about either family beyond this, so if you happen to know anything about them I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for replying!

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 am 

Sorry, but no help here going that far back. :(
I do have 11 Sweeney's and too many Walsh's to count in my data. No Pasher's though.

Do you happen to have an Ellen Joseph Sweeney (abt Sept 1851 - 9 Mar 1932) from Mobile, who was married to John Lee (son of Thomas Lee and Sarah Chafe) from Petty Harbour? She is the earliest Sweeney that I have.

My main areas of research are from the Goulds/Big Pond/Petty Harbour/ Cape Broyle/Calvert/ Mobile/Tors Cove (basically all along the Southern Shore) areas.

Board index » General » Introductions