Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Newbie
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:57 pm 

My father's side of the family is from Newfoundland, my mother's side from Scotland.
Have been doing research on and off (mostly off) since 2010. Been to the Rooms Twice.
First cane to Newfoundland on summer vacation with family sometime on the 70's or 80's.
Learned 2014? I have a cousin there but he doesn't seem to have much more information that I do except the line may have originated in Devon England in 1600's.
Hit quite a number of dead ends, hoping to shake a few things out of the trees here.

My father was born in St John's and came to the US with his father c 1927, grew up in Brooklyn. His father was a carpenter and worked in the Empire State Building. Not sure what else he did. My father served in the US Navy on an Aircraft Carrier during WWII, later worked for an insurance company, then the Newark Star Ledger?, the Daily News and finally The New York Times.

I was born in Newark NJ, moved to Queens, NY in 1963 where I still live. I went to the same High School my father did. I originally went to College for Aerospace Engineeing, and Co-oped with NASA for a year, worked on the Space Shuttle Project one semester and computer programming for another. After 3 years I decided it wasn't what I wanted, and I couldn't figure out differential calculus. Took some time off, worked for the Army Corps of Engineers then went back to school for Architecture. Got my pro degree in 1992. Now I'm working almost 20 years for a company that has become one of the largest firms in NYC.

Board index » General » Introductions