Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Corcoran's - I believe from Riverhead - Coot's Pond
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 pm 

Hi all! I am from Massachusetts. I love this site! Perhaps you can assist in my search for information about my great-grandfather Patrick Corcoran and his family. He was born around 1865 in Newfoundland. Patrick moved to Gloucester, Massachusetts where her married Mary Josephine Mooney (she was also from Newfoundland, daughter of Andrew Mooney). According to his marriage certificate his father was John Corcoran and his mother's name was listed as Margaret Cummings.
According to Patrick's obituary in 1911 it mentioned a brother Maurice that lived in the Boston area and brother's: Dennie, John, Thomas and a sister Mrs. James Malloy all of Newfoundland.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Best,
Maureen

Post subject: Re: Corcoran's - I believe from Riverhead - Coot's Pond
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:52 pm 

We could be a connection, my grandfather, William Corcoran was born 1887 Coote's Pond, I haven't verified but I think his father was John. His brother Patrick moved to Boston area and brothers Peter and Michael moved to New York. This could explain the reason for moving, going to an uncle in the area?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:55 pm 

In the 1864 Hutchinson's Directory it lists fishermen John, Patrick and Maurice Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm 

Thank you for the tip about 1864 Hutchinson's Directory. I will check it out!
Maureen

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm 

Re the Corcoran`s, my grandmother`s sister had married a Corcoran, and they live in the Boston area. However my grandmother`s maiden name was Morey, am wondering if they are related?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 pm 

Hi Mary
One of Patrick's brothers moved from Newfoundland to the Boston area. His name was Maurice Corcoran, he was born around 1860's. That however is all I know about him.
Thank you for the consideration!
Maureen

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:57 pm 

Hi Mary- my gd mother Louisa Corcoran was born in Riverhead Coots Pond on 29 June 1896-I have a copy of her birth cert.& Bapt. certificate that list her parents as John Corcoran and Mary Rourke(I was told O'Rourke by relatives, but its Rourke on certificate) Lists sponsors as Thomas Meaney & Mary Corcoran. Louisa's bro was Wm Corcoran B1887 as listed in prev post. Her bros,Patrick, Michael, Peter & Philip all moved to U.S. He bro Patrick was born Oct 4, 1888, was fisherman, and wife was Elizabeth, lived at l08 Millett St., Dorchester, Mass,as per U.S. Naturalization Index dated Mar 28, 1921. Certficate # 1540445. Patrick & Elizabeth had 2 children, Rita & Clefton J. (he became priest) Also was told Louisa's father drowned at sea, but cannot confirm that.I was told that by Louisa's daughter in law, who is 92 yr old now.

Board index » General » Introductions