Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Cummins/Power Family - St John's early 1800s
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 pm 

Hi from Sydney Australia

I am tracing my Great, Great, Grandfather, Richard Cummins who immigrated to Sydney Australia as a free settler in 1836. His marriage certificate indicated he came from British America and he was born around 1812. In Australia his name was recorded as Richard Power Cummins.

Have located a Richard Cummins, baptised 1 Aug 1812 Catholic Basilica of Saint John the Baptist, St John's, whose parents were John Cummins and Mary Power. My thinking is he may have used his mother's maiden name as a second Christian name. I have been able to locate three siblings, Mary baptised 9 Nov 1806, Nicholas baptised 19 Nov 1809 and Anne baptised 14 July 1817.

It would appear Anne married a Patrick Marrs and died 26 April 1885 at Newburyport, Massachusetts - they had at least five children, Catherine, Bridget, Mary, Richard and John.

Unfortunately I have no confirmed date of Richard's birth or who his parents were. Nor can I be definite as to which ship he left "British America" aboard as he appeared to have changed ships in Rio De Janeiro. He arrived in Sydney aboard the brig "Mary" but there is strong belief he may have left "British America" aboard the "Mic Mac" and possibly joined it in either Halifax or Boston.

I am looking for any information which may help me in firming up on my research into Richard Cummins (circa 1812)

Board index » General » Introductions