Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Button family of Seal Cove / New Chelsea
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:47 pm 

I'm looking for family information on the William Henry Button family of Seal Cove/New Chelsea Newfoundland. We have a William Henry Button and his son William Henry Button, the son was born 1862 and died 1922 both at Seal Cove /New Chelsea. We know William Henry Button the father was married to a Caroline (his first wife) and had 2 daughters with Caroline named Jane Button 1852 and Julia Anne Button 1854. The next known records show William Henry as a widower marrying Jane Trimm (who was briefly married to John Palmer who died of Cholera around 1850). Jane Trimm and William Henry Button were married June 2, 1862 Hant's Harbor. We can assume that Caroline died, because William Henry is listed with a "W" beside his name when he marries Jane Trimm, who also has a "W" beside her name, but there's never a mention again to Jane Button 1852 and Julia Anne Button 1854. This has been a family mystery till this day. We have no knowledge as to where William Henry Button came from. In a history written in a Decks Awash magazine Vol. 20. No. 4, 1991, Sept.-Oct., pg. 43, it mentions that Jane Trimm marries William Henry Button of Cornwall. I know this is not the record itself, but I'm assuming the writer had some information that lead him to write that William Henry Button was from Cornwall and I also would assume that's England. However, I've made no headway getting any records beyond the birth of his children with Caroline ? and his second marriage to Jane Trimm and them having a son William Henry Button. Both my grandparents are from Newfoundland, but my grand mother's side has been much easier to track. I've had my dna done and have it our on Ancestory.com and GEDmatch. I think if I still hit a brick wall in future months, I may get the Y-dna test done. I'll appreciate any help. I know that Annie Cassandra (Button) Palmer was the last surviving child that remained in Newfoundland and was born in 1893. The majority of William Henry Button (Jr.) children immigrated to Maine, New Hampshire and Mass, USA.

Board index » General » Introductions