Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Koughs in Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 pm 

Hello,

I was referred here from Rootschat because I thought I would try to contact relatives in Newfoundland. The name of this branch of my family is Kough and they shipped goods in the late 18C and 19C from New Ross, Co. Wexford to St Johns. Some of the family moved to St Johns.
Quote:
"One of the leading firms in New Ross, the Koughs, had at least 3 vessels engaged in the Newfoundland trade in 1798. Two of them, the “Chilcomb” (Michael Kavanagh capt.) and the “Anne” (Patk Ryan capt.) cleared for St. John’s with their provisions & passengers 27th March. A third ship , the “Two Brothers” (Nicholas Clark capt.) was delayed by the Battle of Ross & did not get away until mid-August. Its captain & crew were no doubt, a major source of news to the Newfoundland Irish on arriving in St. John’s.
The Koughs were protestant & staunch loyalists. Thomas Jr, son of the firm’s founder, lived in St John’s & married there in 1774 Elizabeth, daughter of Elliott Elmes, also a New Ross merchant. They formed the core of a small, closely knit protestant community specializing in the Newfoundland trade. "

My ggggfr Edward Kough stayed in Ireland but I obviously still have family in Newfoundland whom it would be nice to be in touch with.
I now live in Canada (though on the wrong side) but The Rock is somewhere I would love to visit one day.

Warm greetings,
Charles Bazalgette

Board index » General » Introductions