Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Pike Fmily
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm 

Hello, I am searching for information regarding my 5th Great Grandmother, Ann Pike. Ann was born in 1750 and died 1833, location unknown. She was married to John James Pike, 1744-1833. James was born in Red Bay Labrador and died in Carbonear. They had 8 children in a span of 12 years. Ann was also identified as Eskimo/Inuit. I am trying to find more information about Ann and I would appreciate any information you may have!
Thank you,
Debra

Post subject: Re: Pike Fmily
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm 

Hi Debra,
Can I ask for your source for the record that John Pike was born in Red bay, Labrador, in 1744? It is curious because at that time this territory was very 'unsettled'. The area was under French jurisdiction until the Treaty of Paris in 1763 and the nearby seigneury at Cape Charles was granted to Antoine Marsal (1735 - 1750).. I am not certain that the Red Bay area was occupied by anyone at this time. The post at Chateau Bay may have been occupied by Louis Basil; but it is very doubtful. Louis Fornel may have held the papers for the post but I don't think he was doing anything in that particular area in 1744. The post at Red Bay had previously been held by Pierre Constantin in the earlier part of the century. These French posts were almost always occupied by only men conducting the seal and cod fisheries, without women.
In any case, the birth of an 'English' baby, John Pike, seems a bit doubtful but with very sketchy records of any sort for this period, it is very hard to tell. If you have a record of this birth, then there may be other records of which I would be very interested.
I hope this helps in your quest.
Cheers
Greg Mitchell

Post subject: Re: Pike Fmily
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:11 am 

Hi Greg,
Thank you for the very informative response!
I was provided incorrect information when I first posted my question in April. I suspect he was from Carbonnear/surrounding area but do not have a document to prove it.
Debra

Board index » General » Introductions