Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Introduction - Michael Soper, Massachusetts
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm 

I am new to this site, and an Introduction was recommended on my home page. I am seeking Soper family history. My grandfather was born in St. John's and there are at least two more generations from St. John's and Carbonear. My father was never able to travel to Newfoundland, but I had an opportunity a few weeks ago (my first time, age 53 now!). Spent time at The Rooms archives and at Memorial U. Very productive. I now live in Massachusetts. I welcome anybody interested in Sopers to contact me.

-- Michael Soper

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not post your e-mail address or phone number in the open forum

Post subject: Re: Introduction - Michael Soper, Massachusetts
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm 

I also have some information on SOPERs, but this appears to be a different family than the one you are looking for. The ones I am looking at are originally from Hant's Harbour, Trinity Bay, and then moved to other places, such as Lady Cove, Random Island and House Cove, Trinity Bay.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 pm 

Also Looking for Soper. In St. John's/ Hants Harbour. Have a Harold/William or Walter Soper 1887-1917. He had children by the name of Ida, Mertle, Sammuel, Elsie and Tessie Mae. Am having the most trouble finding information on them. Tessie mae was the daughter, but her mother was Selina Goodwin 1881-1905. She died a year after Tessie was born and was not the mother of the other children. That is all I know. Hope someone can help.....

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:54 pm 

Sorry, I don't seem to have anything on a Harold / William / Walter Soper b. 1887.
Do you know for certain that he was from Hant's Harbour?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 pm 

I wish I did. As it has been so hard to find information I have put this search on the side, but there a few things I can check. if i find anything out I will post it. Thanks for checking.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Michael:

I have Soper's in St. John's.

Samuel Henry Spracklin Soper, born 1844 Cupids, Conception Bay; married 1869 St. John's to Diana Whitten; died 1885 St. John's.
Children of Samuel & Diana: Albert, Edward, William, George, James, Thomas, Samuel.

Also have an Elizabeth Ann Soper, born Carbonear, married 1874 to John Angel of St. John's; Elizabeth Ann died 1884 St. John's.
Children: William Henry Angel; Jennet Angel.

If this is of any help to you, contact me on the Surname Board or email me directly.

Trishe

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:57 pm 

Thanks for the information Trishe. George and Mary (Pelley) Soper of Carbonear had a son, James, born May 8, 1840. James is my g-grandfather I believe. James and Mary Jane (Thistle) Soper had a son, Hayward, born August 24, 1882 in St. John's. Hayward (aka Robert Hayward) Soper is my grandfather. He died in Weston, Massachusetts, near Boston, in 1958 when I was 2 years old.

I have seen the name Spracklin in my research. Do you know who Samuel Henry Spracklin Soper's son, James, married? That would help me check and verify my facts. I am also interested in more information about George and Mary (Pelley) Soper, and who their parents were.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Again:

I don't have a marriage for James Browning soper, which does not mean he didn't marry of course. All I have are his dates: born 1 Nov 1878 St. John's, died 23 May 1917 Paradise Cove, NL.

I'll check around and see if I can find anything more on George or James.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:00 am 

Trishe wrote:
Hi Michael:

I have Soper's in St. John's.

Samuel Henry Spracklin Soper, born 1844 Cupids, Conception Bay; married 1869 St. John's to Diana Whitten; died 1885 St. John's.
Children of Samuel & Diana: Albert, Edward, William, George, James, Thomas, Samuel.

Also have an Elizabeth Ann Soper, born Carbonear, married 1874 to John Angel of St. John's; Elizabeth Ann died 1884 St. John's.
Children: William Henry Angel; Jennet Angel.

If this is of any help to you, contact me on the Surname Board or email me directly.

Trishe

Trishe, was just wondering if you you know which line of the Angel/Angell's this John Angel was from (the one who married Elizabeth Ann Soper) - Sarah

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm 

Hi

I h ave a Jonas Soper in my husband's tree, who's daughter Martha was born in Han't Harbour, she married Jeremiah Price. If I can be of help please contact me

Macduder

Board index » General » Introductions