Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Vera Sullivan
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm 

Subject: [NFLD-ROOTS] SULLIVAN - hope someone can help
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:56:20 -0300

Hello
I am looking for this family for my grandmother, Julie May (Barrett) Kearley . She is now 96 and as a young girl (14 years old) she worked for Michael and Catherine (Thompson) SULLIVAN in St. John's NFLD. She was a nanny for their daughter Vera. She became very attached to this little girl but over the years she has lost track of her. As I listen to my grandmother tell stories about the good old days she always wishes she knew what happened to Vera. I have been doing my family research for a while now but I am putting it aside for a while to try to find some info for her. I have very liitle info to go on so I thought I would turn to the list for help.
Michael Sullivan born about 1876 in Plasentia, NFLD. He worked for the government in St. John's. He married Catherine Thompson from St. John's. They had 2 children: Arthur (abt 1902- ? ) I know he died in a plane crash. There is something in the St. John's airport about him. and Vera ( abt 1911- )
Vera left NFLD and went to England to go to school when she finished grade school. My grandmother knows she married an older man there but it ended in divorse. She later remarried and had a little girl, Suzanne ?. My grandmother seems to recall she moved to Switzerland. I know she did return to NFLD a few times as she would go and visit my grandmother.
I hope someone can help as I know I am not likely to find anything about Vera or her daughter unless someone has them in their data. This would mean a lot to me as I would love to connect with a relative of Vera as she was so important to my grandmother. I have a lot of stories and pictures to share.
Thank you so much
Lisa Almon

Researching
Almon, Barrett, Barwick, Baudin, Beaufort, Bibeau, Birkicht, Boudrot, Bowes, Breen,
Burden, Chapoux, Chauret, Chipman, Crane, Currie, Deshaies, Earle, Edney, Esnard,
Flynn, French, Gaudet, Girouard, Greeley, Guimond, Harper, Heon, Herbert, Horgan , Houde,
Kearley, LeBlanc, Lester, Link, Macleod, McCormick, Menchions, Moore, Nault,
Neil, Picher, Plante, Rheault, Seymour, Sheppard, Smith, Snow, Stickney, Thomas, Vokey,
Ward, Ziperle

Post subject: Re: Vera Sullivan
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:43 pm 

Post update, my new emailing lisa.almon1@gmail.com

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:50 pm 

I had e-mailed Lisa as I thought the dates were wrong missing that the original date of this post was in 2000. This was her answer and maybe the new information will help someone to be able to help Lisa in her search. Linda

Thank you , I have been trying to get the post corrected. I first posted it years ago. My grandmother has since past (2005) and I am still trying to connect with a relative of Vera's , hopefully her daughter. I have a lot of stories my grandmother told me about Vera and what an impact the Sullivan's had on her life. All the dates are correct. Nan was born in 1904 and Vera was born 1911. She is listed with the Sullivan's in the 1921census. She first went to the Sullivan's as a cook but as she was close in age to Vera and the two connected nan soon became governess to the little girl. It was because of helping with Vera's school work nan learned so much. She had to leave school when she was only 11 and leave home to work after her father died. Every summer the Sullivan's rented a house in topsail for Vera and nan to spend the summers. The house they rented was built by my grandfather and as a result nan met her future husband and later moved into that house and raised 7 children. I could go on and on :-)
I have sent an email trying to get the posted corrected but no luck yet. Thank you so much for reading it. Hopefully I will get a connection some day.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:22 pm 

Hello,
I am excited to see someone with an interest in the Sullivans. I have been working on them for years. My great aunt Selina Browne married Patrick Sullivan and was the mother of Michael Sullivan -husband of Kathleen? Thompson. They had two children Vera and Arthur (the aviator). A really interesting family. Selina's family came from Kilkenny to Sound Island Placentia Bay. I first pick up Patrick's Sullivan family in St. John's and they lived at St Leonard's/St Kyrans Placentia Bay. Selina also had a house on Bonaventure Avenue where her family stayed when they went to school in St. John's. Selina was born about 1842 and died the same week that Arthur Sullivan crashed in 1932.

My grandfather was close to Selina- her husband died about 1905? and she lived in St. John's when he was growing up. She was quite an interesting lady. Her son Michael http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_S._Sullivan
I have further info but was not aware that Vera had a child. Would love to hear more. Have been looking for a pic of Selina.
Brenda Young
younglogybay@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 pm 

Hello.
I am very interested to see this discussion. I have just recently found info on Kathleen Eleanor Thomson, wife of Michael Sullivan, and mother of Arthur Douglas Sullivan (1904-1932 and Vera Kathleen L Sullivan, born 29 Mar 1911 in Marylebone, London, England. I have found that Kathleen and her children travelled more than once between London and St. John's, possibly because Kathleen's father and step-mother moved to London about 1920. Kathleen's mother (Kate Eleanor Lynch) died when she was born. Her father, Charles Robertson Thomson, who managed Newfoundland Boot and Shoe Manufacturing in St. John's, remarried in 1884 to Mary Ann Elliot. In appears that Vera herself made several trips between St. John's and London. Does anyone know the name of either of her husbands, or her child? I did find the first reports of her brother's missing plane, a flight out of St. Anthony on 30th May 1932. I found Michael Sullivan's death, in 1929, and found trips to London by Kathleen after that time. I wonder if Kathleen ended up settling in London? I know that her step-mother lived in England until her death in 1934. Shall be very interested to hear any further thoughts or facts about the family.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 am 

Hello
Not sure about Vera's daughter name but my grandmother had told me she thought it was Suzanne. She knows Vera was married at least twice. The first time was a older gentleman she thought. She didn't know if she ever moved to Switzerland but she knew she was there at one point. My grandmother is no longer alive and I know Isn't likely either. However I would love to connect with one of her descendants and tell them how much Vera meant to my grandmother and stories about her childhood.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 am 

Lisa,
I believe Vera's first husband was names Atkinson and the second was Colin C Bishop. I believe she was listed as Vera K P Sullivan and that made the search a bit easier. I think the first wedding was near her family in England. A place called Marlebone SP?. The possible second. A bit of conjecture, but her middle name was Kathleen? after her mother. and the dates are about right. She was included in some of the census in the Marlebone community-near London?

England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Birth, Marriage & Death
View Image

Name: Vera K P Atkinson
Spouse: Colin C Bishop
Marriage: date - Westminster , Middlesex
Other: mm year
I couldnt get the wedding records on Ancestry, but they may be on Family Search.
Take care
Brenda

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 pm 

Hello Brenda

Seeing your note has reminded me that I have not kept you up-to-date on my searches for Vera and family. Found quite a bit of info. Patricia Susan was her daughter with Charles Atkinson (first marriage). Vera and Colin Bishop both died in Hampshire on the same day - she in hospital, he at home! Patricia Sue died in 2010 in Sussex. If you would like to give me a current email address, I would be happy to send you a print out of what I have found starting with Michael and Kathleen.

Cheers, Judith J

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 pm 

Thank you so much. My email is lisa.almon1@gmail.com

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm 

Do you know if her daughter had any family?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm 

Judith,
Thank you for that update. This is one of my favourite families, and I am so pleased to find out what happened to Vera. I would love to know if Patricia had family. I will check and see if there are any records.
Let me know if you learn any more and I will do the same for you. Look forward to your info.
Take care
Brenda young
younglogybay@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 pm 

I know I don't have any biological ties to this family but in a way I do. If it wasn't for my grandmother getting a job as Vera's governess she would have never have met my grandfather and I would not be here. I have a few pictures of Vera and Mrs. Sullivan, does any know how I can post them to this ? If Vera's daughter had a family I would love to share stories my grandmother shared with me. She always was so fond of the family.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 pm 

Judith,

I would love to see any pictures you have of the family. I have pics of Vera's brother Arthur Sullivan and her father Michael Sullivan, but I have really wanted to find a picture of Selina Browne Sullivan -my grandfathers aunt-she played a big part in his life-and would love to see a pick of Vera or her mother.

There is a commemoration of the sinking of the SS Florisel recently. Vera's father Michael Sullivan was on it and was one of the survivors.

Take care
Brenda

Board index » General » Introductions