Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: KNOX grave/St Brendans
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 pm 

Hello all, I am visiting Newfoundland for the first time. I have been researching my roots for the past 15 years. There is a mystery in the family. We know the family is buried in St. Brendans. "Knox" is the family name. Thomas and Johanna Knox had a son named Thomas. Young Thomas was married to my grandmother, Ellen White. Together, they had a baby. Some say it was a boy, some say it was a girl who died at 4 1/2 months old. How can I find out the truth? I am going to visit St. Brendans, but would have no idea how to find the grave marker? Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: KNOX grave/St Brendans
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 pm 

Hello,
You don't give any dates in your query. Provincial death registrations for Newfoundland and Labrador covering the years 1891 to 1949 can be found on familysearch.org. They are indexed alphabetically. Perhaps this resource can help you find the name, sex, date of death, of baby Knox.
Linda Moss

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:43 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

July 10th, 2014: Nellie Bridgeman of St. Brendan's passed away at the Carbonear General Hospital, Carbonear on Thursday, July 10, 2014. Mrs. Bridgeman was 84 years old. She leaves to mourn her loving family: daughter: Alice (Bill Furlong); son: Glenn (Wavey & Cal Oram); sister: Mary (Mike) Bridgeman; brother: William Knox (Martina); sister-in-law: Mary Ann Knox. Predeceased By: husband: Bernard Bridgeman; daughter: Kathleen George; siblings: Thomas (Ellen) Knox, Patrick Knox, Rita Lewis (Patrick), Josephine (Herbert) Samson, Sara (Michael) Hynes & Mary Ann Knox; parents: William & Catherine Knox. The family would like to say a special thank you to Dr. House and the nurses on the 6th & 7th floor at the Carbonear General Hospital, Carbonear. The funeral mass will take place at St. Gabriel's R.C. Church & Cemetery, St. Brendan's on Monday, July 14, 2014 at 11 A.M. The family will be receiving relatives and friends at ST. GABRIEL'S R.C. CHURCH, ST. BRENDAN'S, on Saturday at 1 P.M. - 5 & 7 - 9 P.M., Sunday: 10 A.M. - 12 Noon, 1 - 5 P.M. and 7 - 9 P.M. and Monday: 10 - 10:30 A.M. As expressions of sympathy flowers are gratefully accepted or donations in her loving memory may be made to St. Gabriel's R.C. Church Memorial Fund. Condolences may be written to the family at: sladesfuneralhome.ca. For Any further information please call Slade's Funeral Home, Carbonear: 596-1212. Funeral Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Slade's Funeral Homes, Serving Carbonear, Upper Island Cove, Bay Roberts and areas.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:53 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

HYNES, Sarah Mary - Passed peacefully away at the Leonard A Miller center on Sunday, January 19, 2014, Sarah Hynes of St. Brendan’s, Age 97 years. Predeceased by her husband Michael, son Michael, parents: William and Catherine Knox, sisters: Rita (Patrick Lewis), Josephine (Herbert Samson); brothers: Thomas Knox( Ellen), and Patrick Knox (Mary-Ann), and grandchildren: Lisa and Keith. Leaving to mourn with fond and loving memories are her children: Angela (Doug Holmes-deceased), Patricia (B.J. Janner-deceased), Kathleen (Ernie Anderson), Anne, James ( Sue), Bill (Lucy), Kevin (Jane), and Gordon (Florence); sisters: Ellen (Bern Bridgeman-deceased) and Mary (Mike Bridgeman); brother: Bill (Martina); grandchildren: Mark, David, Shannon, Billy, Brent, Darryl, Paul, Laura, Gary, Jonathan, Alison, Justin, and Jamie, great-grandchildren: Devyn, Max, Hayden, Sydney, Max, Jill, Sarah, Angela and Jayden, as well as a large number of nieces, nephews, and other relatives and special friends. The family wishes to express their sincere appreciation to the staff of 3-South at the Miller Center for their wonderful care, understanding, and devotion to Mom during her stay with them. Resting at Caul’s Funeral Home on LeMarchant Road from 2- 4 p. m., and from 7-9 p. m. on Tuesday, January 21, and from 2-9 p.m. on Wednesday, January 22 at St. Gabriel’s Church, St. Brendan’s. Funeral services will take place at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 23 from St. Gabriel’s Roman Catholic Church, St. Brendan’s with internment to follow . Flowers would be appreciated or donations in her name can be made to a charity of one’s choice.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

St. Brendan's - Dock Cove Cemetery: Dock Cove lies on the Eastern side of Cottle's Island (renamed St. Brendan's Island). The Dock Cove Cemetery is 0.7 km past the currently used cemetery.

Headstone marker: "Father, Mother, Brother: Thomas, Johannah, And Thomas Knox."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

From Helvick Head To Hescut Point: The St. Brendan's Irish, by Tina Broderick Martin:

"The final additions to Shalloway Cove came with three marriages to Turner females. Mike Hennessey married Abe Turner's daughter Bridget: Tom Knox and John Kean married Tom Turner's daughters Johanna and Ellen. Knox and Hennessey were winter men from around the St. John's area. It is possible that Knox was connected with the Tom Knox from England who married Johanna Maddox in King's Cove in 1849. John Kean was from the Burnt Island Kean family. Penney's Cove, where the current ferry wharf and fish plant is located, may have been used by the Pennys in presettlement days but was settled in the twentieth century by Fitzgeralds from Keels. These Fitzgeralds had contributed wives to each wave of St. Brendan's settlement. Bernard, Edward, Patrick and Henry Fitzgerald all lived in Penny's Cove but the families have all died out or moved away. Henry and his wife moved down to Ryans after the death of their son. Penny's Cove, empty for years, is now enjoying a resurrection with the building of a hotel to join the fishing and transportation businesses established there in recent years."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

KNOX, Thomas – Passed away suddenly on Saturday November 24, 2007, Thomas Knox, aged 89 years. He was originally from St. Brendan’s but moved his family to Gambo in 1973. Predeceased by wife Nell, daughter Marie Furlong (Len), brothers Patrick (Maryanne) and Frank; sisters Rita Lewis and Maryanne. Left to mourn with fond and loving memories his sisters: Sade Hynes, Nell Bridgeman, Jose Sampson, Mary Bridgeman (Mike), his brother: Bill (Martina) and his children: Rita Penney (Greg), Beth Hearn (Terry), Cathy (Silas), Wayne (Trudy), Ange Higgins (Don), Linda (Barry), Tom, Mary, Frank (Candace) and Karen, his 17 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren, as well as, a large number of nieces, and nephews, especially Tony Walsh. There are many other relatives and friends who were a source of laughter and love in his life. No one brought more laughter and care into his life since Nell passed away than Kate Hodder. With her husband Terry and her son Jonathan they gave him and Mary another family. Resting at Pritchett’s Funeral Home, Gambo. Visitation to take place in the afternoon and evening of Tuesday, November 27, and the morning of Wednesday, November 28. Funeral Mass to take place at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Gambo, on Wednesday, November 28, at 2:00 p.m.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:36 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here is the answer to your question, I believe.

Bonavista Bay, Vital Statistics, Death Register: "Died January 9, 1917, at St. Brendans, Thomas Knox, Roman Catholic, age 4 1/2 months, born at St. Brendans, interred at St. Brendans."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm 

I am overwhelmed by the responses to my post. I know the child (Thomas Knox) is buried in St. Brendans. I understand there is only one cemetery there. How would I go about finding his grave marker? I am coming from Boston in August. Thank you everyone for your help.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm 

There is an old cemetery on St Brendans which has graves for Thomas and Johanna Knox and also an another Thomas Knox (Son of Thomas) but there is no dates shown. You can find this on Bonavista Bay Cemetery transcriptions for St Brendans

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 pm 

I am wondering if there is a phone# you would be able to provide for me for the office that manages the cemetery? I am from Boston and would have no idea how to contact them?

Thanking you in advance!
Elaine

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:01 pm 

This is the number for the church.

St Gabriel Catholic ChurchDirections
Churches
Address: St Brendans, NL A0G 3V0, Canada
Phone:+1 709-669-3111

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 pm 

Thank you very much for the help!