Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Regina Avery
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:54 pm 

Hi, my name is Regina Avery. I am from Deep Bight, NL. I just recently started researching the Avery family tree. My grandfather came from Southport.
I just wanted to introduce myself to this wonderful site and hope to find out all about my family history via this site and the many members here!

Post subject: Re: Regina Avery
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:01 am 

Hi Regina
I have been researching the many families of Bay de Verde and Grates Cove area for many years. The Avery family seems to have its roots at Grates Cove but many of them moved across the bay to the Random area in the mid 1800's. It seems that the Avery's showed up at Grates Cove sometime shortly after 1800 as they are not mentioned in the 1800 Census.
According to Leslie Dean, a researcher from Southport (once called Fox Harbour), the community was founded by James Dean (from Old Perlican) and Joseph Martin (from Grates Cove) in 1836. They were later joined by James Lambert and James Avery both of Grates
Cove.
In 1858 James Avery married Ann Stoyles at Grates Cove. They had a daughter Eliza Ann in 1864 but there is nothing further about them in the Grates Cove records. There is a death record for a James Avery on 7 Jan 1894 at Southport. I am assuming that he is the same person who moved from Grates Cove.
Brendan

Post subject: Re: Regina Avery
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 pm 

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there are connections to me somewhere along the way!

Board index » General » Introductions