Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Seeking MURRAY family information
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:46 pm 

Hi,
I have been working on family genealogy for a number of years now, and I've managed to do quite well with my side. Information on my husband's family has remained more elusive, however. We know the MURRAYS originated in Ireland and, somewhere along the way, made the difficult decision to leave their homeland to seek new lives in Newfoundland. It is thought that they stayed there for about three or four generations, before making the journey to Massachusetts in the early 1900's. Information on the years spent in Newfoundland has been difficult to come by. I would love nothing more than to go there to do the research first-hand myself, but alas that is not possible at this point. I am really hoping that this wonderful site will help me to gather some facts (or at least some healthy leads) regarding the ancestors of James J. MURRAY and his wife Theresa May KEARNEY. Thanks for any help you may be able to render.
Janyce Murray

Post subject: Re: Seeking MURRAY family information
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:16 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

This may be of some help to you. Here is a link to a baptism for Mary Teresa Kearney on 18 Oct 1869 at the R C Basilica in St. John's NL. She is no. 444 on page 82. Parents are listed as Michael Kearney and Johanna Leary.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,241128401

It would seem that James and Teresa Murray are from the St. John's area as they baptised some children in the RC Church in St John's in 1882 and 1885.

Good Luck in your search, I found the above by searching around different sites in my spare time. I have no further information.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here is a link to the marriage of Michael Kearney and Hannah Leary on August 15 , 1865. Its No. 80 on page 163.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,241164701

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:45 am 

There was a large concentration of Murrays in Argentia. Try this link, although I could not see the marriage of James Murray and Teresa Kearney.

http://www.redislandnf.com/argweb/mix/immurray.html

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

According to the records of the Roman Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, NL, register entry #137, James Murray and Theresa Kearney were married on October 20, 1884, by Reverend J. Ryan, and the witnesses were Frederick Jordan and Mary Jordan.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:13 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Inscriptions on a headstone marker in Saint Patrick's Cemetery, Northbridge, Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States, suggests James J. Murray was born in 1865, and he died in 1942; and Theresa M. Kearney was born in 1867, and she died in 1926.

James J. Murray may have been the son of Patrick Murray and Mary Dunsterville, born and baptised on March 29, 1865 at St. John's, NL.

Of course, do your own due diligence, please.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

Janyce wrote:
Hi,
I have been working on family genealogy for a number of years now, and I've managed to do quite well with my side. Information on my husband's family has remained more elusive, however. We know the MURRAYS originated in Ireland and, somewhere along the way, made the difficult decision to leave their homeland to seek new lives in Newfoundland. It is thought that they stayed there for about three or four generations, before making the journey to Massachusetts in the early 1900's. Information on the years spent in Newfoundland has been difficult to come by. I would love nothing more than to go there to do the research first-hand myself, but alas that is not possible at this point. I am really hoping that this wonderful site will help me to gather some facts (or at least some healthy leads) regarding the ancestors of James J. MURRAY and his wife Theresa May KEARNEY. Thanks for any help you may be able to render.
Janyce Murray

Hi, Janice
I've been looking for the Murrays as well. Would James J. Murray have had a son named Henry Michael Murray. I know who Henry's wife and children are, but can't find anything on him. I think he was born in 1854 in Carbonear but I know he was married in Searston, NL. Does any of this line up with your research? Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am 

The James J. Murray who is my husband's grandfather had sons named Patrick Joseph, William Francis and James Peter. Another son named William John may have died in infancy. There was no Henry. I think the parents of James J. Murray may have been Peter Murray and Elizabeth Hunt. Thanks for your response. I hope you find your Murray ancestors.

Board index » General » Introductions