Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Need information concerning WW11 newfoundland natives
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 pm 

I need information concering a Lyman Carl Abbott who joined the RAF during WW11and his service numberv was 798644. He was a navagator and survived being shot down twice. He was from St Johns I believe.

Thev second is Herman Huxter from Springdale who was in the Forestry Corps in WW11 that served in the Home guard in Scotland his service number was 2849

The reason I am looking for info is that they are close realtives and i am making a record of family members who service in NFLD and Canadian / British forces durning the world wars.

I am retired RCAF/CAF myself.

Post subject: Re: Need information concerning WW11 newfoundland natives
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:03 am 

hi
Herman Ralph Huxter was born June 29 1920 Springdale, and baptized Dec 7 1920, in the Methodist church, son of Samuel Huxter and Sarah Hiscock. Herman married Violet Rae.
His paternal grandparents were Stephen Huxter and Rachel Brown. Believed to be related to the Huxters from Catalina area.

Jill Marshall, St Johns NL

Post subject: Re: Need information concerning WW11 newfoundland natives
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm 

Hi Moose2,
This link, http://rcafassociation.ca/uploads/airforce/2009/07/canrafa-d.html
has this information:
ABBOTT, F/O Lyman Carl (155130) - Croix de Guerre with Gold Star - awarded with effect from 21 October 1946. Directorate of History and Heritage document 79/201 lists him as a Newfoundlander in the RAF; enlisted 7 January 1941 (number 798644); demobilized 9 November 1945. G.W.L. Nicholson, More Fighting Newfoundlanders (St.John's, published by the government of Newfoundland in 1969) states (pp.444-445) that Abbott was a navigator in a Halifax shot down over France in the summer of 1944 and evaded capture. He had earlier flown bombers in the Mediterranean theatre. A search through London Gazettes from 1944 to the end of 1948 has failed to turn up his name or the date of the award. However, RAF Personnel Management Agency, in letter to H.A. Halliday dated 24 July 2000, confirms the award and effective date.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Regards,
shawn

Board index » General » Introductions