Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Researching Kane/Conway and others Renews and St. Johns
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm 

I am Jim Blaine born and raised in Northbridge, MA. My Grandmother was Mary C. Kane. Many Kanes and Conways landed in Northbridge, MA and surrounding area most likely because of the Mill known as Whitin Machine Works. Anyway my brick walls are John Kane/Cain and his spouse(her name) as to where born in Ireland Christopher Cain-1807 (his spouse) their marriage. And any number of other little bits and pieces. Glad I found this board. Hope to hear from someone.
Jim

Post subject: Re: Researching Kane/Conway and others Renews and St. Johns
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:10 pm 

There are a few more versions of the spelling of the surname Kane; such as Kean, Keane, and Caine. You may want to check those out as well. Good Luck with you research.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 pm 

Yes, I found that out real quick. The problem is the lack of records before a certain date in NFLD.
I will visit cemetery this week in Maynard, MA and try to find the Kane gravesite. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be doing it. Thanks for the reply.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Kean/Kane/Cain etc. family at Renews go back to at least 1800. At Renews in 1800 John Michael were part of this family:

Parents: Laurence Conway Mary Conway
Children
John Cain, age 21
Mich'l Cain, age 19
Edmund Conway, age15
Thomas Conway, age 11
Mary Conway, age 6
Bridget Conway, age 2 ½

The list of inhabitants does not tell us how the Cains were related to the Conways. Generally if they were children from a wife's former marriage, this fact would be noted in the list. We can SPECULATE that they were nephews of either Lawrence or Mary, but we can't be sure. I took a quick look at some records and it appears that John and Michael both had families in later years. Michael is purported to have lived to be 102, dying in 1875. However the math doesn't quite jive with with the age (19) given in 1800, nevertheless he was a very old man when he died.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 pm 

Lawrence Conway was married to Mary Maloney (various spellings). Edward Kane was married to Annie Conway. May have been other Conway/Kane(Cain) marriages as well. Found several Kane graves in Maynard, MA but no Christopher even though his Death Certificate said that was where he was buried. The church said otherwise. And on, and on it goes, where it stops nobody knows :)

Board index » General » Introductions