Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: New researcher
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 pm 

Sunday, June 15th
Toronto, ON

Greetings:

I have just joined this site. I am about to retire and want to research my great-grandmother's origins in Newfoundland. Any guidance from the more experienced will be appreciated. I will do what I can via the internet but am prepared to travel to Newfoundland as well this Fall.

My great-grandmother was SARAH ANN KENT. I believe she was born in 1868. She married FRANK MARSHALL who was from Walkerville, Ontario. My grand-mother, RUTH MARY MARSHALL, was born in Walkerville Sept. 10. 1896 and married GEORGE THOMAS REID, May 14, 1919. Their oldest son, JOHN MARSHALL REID (1920-2009) was my father.

Perhaps I will be able to fill in a part of a family tree that was lost to others.

With thanks.

David Reid

Post subject: Re: New researcher
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:05 pm 

Hello
Here is a link to a baptismal record for you to consider. It records the March 19, 1868 baptism of Sarah Ann...daughter of Henry and Dorcas Kent. It is from Harbour Grace (Church of England) Births 1854-1892...found on family search.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,144956201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also here is the link to the marriage of her parents Henry Kent and Dorcas Collial on Dec 9 1864
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,144966401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birth records for this church go back as far as 1775. If you think these links refer to your ancestors then you may be able to trace them back to the 1700s.
Good Luck,
Linda Moss

Board index » General » Introductions